I am 30 years old man. I met my girlfriend last year and our first time together was on the 8th of December 2011, there was no sex but we had enough deep kissing, I know I got bad gums that most time when I brush my teeth, I could see blood coming out, we were actually together for 3 days and still no sex though she gave me oral sex twice and I didn’t come inside her mouth but on her body.  I went to see her again on the 28th of December and on my way there, there was this sudden fever I was experiencing on the train but I was hoping that I should be okay. When we met that night we had a protected sex for the first time and slept. Following morning I was so sick and the symptoms are – hard fever, rashes, headache, sore throat and swollen gland inside my mouth. I heard to call the emergency doctor at night, on getting to the hospital, the doctor collected my urine sample, insert the strip and told me I got infection. He asked me to buy TRIMETHOPRIM, after about 1 week I was okay.

Our love life continues and as we don’t live in the same town, we only see each other like twice every month. In February 2012, while we are having sex, the condom burst, I noticed immediately and told her, she quickly push me away and asked me to rinse my penis with soap and water. I did what she asked me to. I didn’t stay up to 10 seconds inside her when the condom burst and to wash me penis everything happen in less than 1 minute.  I asked  what was happening and she told me she once got STD and she is still treating herself, I was keen about the particular one and she said Chlamydia.

Two weeks later, after kissing and oral, at the start of vaginal sex, the condom breaks again and only my penis went inside and I pulled out back immediately, I didn’t wash my penis, I just change the condom and we had sex. I didn’t feel any signs or symptoms but I went to see my doctor to test for STD, he did the test and told me I am okay and free of all kinds of STD. He even sent my urine to the laboratory for further test and the result came back normal.

I proposed to my girlfriend 2 weeks ago so that we can get married, she was just crying, I thought she was over-joy but later she told me she needs to confess and she lied in the past. When she told me she is hiv+, the shock nearly killed me and my breathing was above normal, I later calm myself down and handle the situation maturely so that she can feel secured.  I got totally confused because I know we have had contact twice and kissing and oral are also there.  We have had sex 10 times in total and all with condom, I always withdraw my penis, remove the condom with my right hand, and wank myself with the same right hand on her body. I have also come in her mouth once.  

Now to my questions, even though my girlfriend always makes condom a must before we sex, I am so worried about my bad gums and the contact we have had together. She told me she was diagnosed in January 2011 and up till now she has not started taking any Anti-hiv medicine as the doctor told her she doesn’t need it for now but maybe in the next 10 to 20 years. Is there any HIV virus like that?  Even though I feel no symptoms but am I hiv+ already?  Ever since she told me, I have been going through this stress and anxiety and I actually don’t know what to do. Please help.   

Hi London,

Yes, the HIV virus is like that.  You don't necessarily need to go on antivirals early.  It depends upon how well the immune system is working and other factors.  Her doctor should be monitoring her.

Only an HIV test will tell you if you've been exposed.  See your doctor.  The 28 December illness may indicate exposure.  Often, the first indication appears as a "flu-like" illness.

HIV transmission through saliva is considered remote.

I want you to know that HIV is not the death sentence it once was.  People can live long, healthy, and productive lives.  Your girlfriend probably didn't know how to tell you, it appears she tried to protect you.  She obviously cares for you.

If you haven't recently, talk to her.  It can't be easy for her either.

Good luck.

There is a possiblity you may have contracted HIV. I suggest getting tested.

Please my friend... dont get your self stress out, all you have to do is go and person hiv test on your self. once you are clear with this doubt that you dont have.. stay away from this act...