My six year old nephew (who is a twin) just had a seizure for the first time yesterday.  It lasted five minutes.  He was sent to the hospital, checked, and sent home that day.  Later that night he had a second seizure, sometime after eight o'clock.  He was taken back to the hospital.  He then had another one later in the night.  He is still in the hospital today and there are about seven doctors that are trying to figure out what it is.  Apparently blood tests are normal, but they still need to do a brain scan.

Encouragement is helpful as well as extra information.  Thank you all.

Concerned Uncle

Hi Uncle,

Seizures can be very scary.  I'm glad he's being seen and that the doctors are trying to find out the cause.

Trying to find out the cause can take some careful diagnostic work.  Did he fall and hit his head?  Or maybe get into any chemicals?  how about eat or drink something that he shouldn't have?  How about a fever?

It could also be an infection, a tumor, or even a stroke.

Depending upon the cause they usually can be managed well.  Sometimes medication is required.  In other cases the patient will outgrows the seizures.

Hope it helps.  Keep us posted as to the findings.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your reply.  I have just found out that he has developed epilepsy.  It apparently is the best level of epilepsy from which should last from ages 4-12.  Seizures will still come and go at a 50/50 rate.

Uncle

Thanks for the update. Yes, epilepsy tends to show up about age 5 or so. Good to know he'll outgrow it.

Hang in there uncle.

I am interested in knowing how this develops.  He did have strep around Halloween.  My brother and sister in law have also started a gluten free diet.  They have the kids on this diet as well, from which I'm curious if we should have our children on diets at such a young age?  

Uncle 

Hard to say. Epilepsy can result from many different reasons. The doctors should be able to give you a better answer as to what is happening.

A well balanced diet, including oats, wheat, and other grains is important for them to be exposed to. They need to make sure they get fiber, folates, niacin, iron, and calcium from other sources. Some "non gluten" foods aren't enriched.

FYI, some prescription and over the counter medicines contain gluten. Lip balm and other cosmetics too.

Ketchup may contain it too. Gluten can be found in a lot of places you may not expect.

Hope it helps.