Hi, this past Wednesday, Jan. 27th, I had an "active shooter" event. It was a physical event where I play roles in scenarios with the Police. It was a 6 hour event. Anyways, I got home and noticed my left testicle felt a bit awkward. I didn't think much of it. Today I noticed that my stomach was somewhat in pain. So I took my clothes off and checked. I noticed that my left testicle looked swollen. It felt hard compared to my right testicle. I also noticed that there was a lot of swelling in the upper area, Epididymitis i think. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with me? It hurts now when i get up and try to walk around.

Hey pxiong,

it sounds like you have epididymitis which is an inflamation of your epididymis. they are very painful and normally need antibiotics to go away. it is possible that you just bruised your testicla durring the "active shooting" training but the swelling and pain seem more consistant with an infection. go you your doctor as soon as possible and get it checked out. they normally clear up fine with antibiotics. in the mean time you can try taking anti inflamatories such as ibuprofin and applying ice to the area. 15-20min on and 20-40min off. make sure the ice is wraped once in a towle though.

keep us posted on your condition.

I am pretty worried and been doing a lot of reading. At first i thought it was Testicular Cancer for some reason. I found out that you can actually feel a "lump" on the testicle itself. I cannot feel any lumps. The only thing i can feel is the epididymmitis seems very large ans smushy on top of the testicle. The pain seems to travel pass the left side of my penis to my left abdomen. I found a local urologist that i might see on Monday if the pain doesn't go away. I took some Dexasin, Anti-Inflammatory medicine. I hope that will help with the pain.

yea i know the feeling
cancer always seems to be the first thing that pops into my head when i have pain or anything in that area. i think it pops into most guys heads. the funny thing is that cancer usually causes no pain
the lumps are normally painless

the other thing it could be is a testicular torsion. but i think things would be alot worse by now. is your testicle raised a lot higher that the other one?

the pain in the left side of the abdomen and penis is expected because the nerves in the testicles run through that area.

how old are you, have you ever had anything like this before??

i forgot to ask if you are sexually active/or had any sort of unprotected sex.

I am 24 years of age. I am sexually active with one significant other for about a year now. We do have unprotected sex from time to time. I have never had anything like this before but about 9 months ago i had a urinary tract infection. At the end of my urination I would notice small droplets of blood but it went away in about 2 weeks. My left testicle hangs a lot higher than my right.

I would like to thank you very much in your responses.

what did you take for your UTI? also did you take 100% of the medicine as directed? its unlikley but it could be that not all of the bacteria were killed and some found their way to your epididymis and set up an infection.

is your entire testicle swollen and if so how much (compared to the other one). also do you have a fever?

thanks

and you are welcome for the advice so far

I actually didn't take any medication for the UTI. I was advised to drink a lot of cranberry juice from one of my relative that is Medical School. I do not have a fever or anything. My left side is about 1/3rd larger then my right.

well in that case that is probably where you got that infection from. you will need some antibiotics and i would get a culture and sensitivity done on our urin to see what type of bacteria is causing your infection and what type of antibiotics are most affective against it.
Also i think it may be necessary to have a semen culture done because that would contain fluids from your testicles/epididymis to be tested and see what type of bacteria are present.
i'm surprised that cranberry juice helped that much. it is good to help prevent UTI but for actually totally curing them thats surprising.

Thank you, I will now need to consult a Urologist. I'm kinda embarrassed but better to be safe then sorry. I will tell him everything I have said here. Hopefully somehow it will all go away when i wake up tomorrow. If not I will make an appointment first thing in the morning. I will keep this updated.

yea that sounds good. its normal to be embarassed in dealing with situations like this but remember that the doctors have seen about everything and to them looking at a swollen testicle is no different that looking at a swollen finger or checking your heart rate.

good luck, looking to here from you soon

Can I ask what you do for a living? Med School? Doc??

well right now im a biology major, and i help do research on gonorrhea and i will also start on cancer biology in march. I should be graduating this may. then i hope to get into vet school. if i cant then grad school of some sort or medical school. im hoping to get my EMT license this summer or fall.

well a few days have passed and i'd like to update. the swelling seems to have stopped. the left testicle is still however a lot bigger than my right side and it feels hard/heavy to the touch. there isn't anymore pain but my stomach has been aching all day today. i don't know if i ate some spicy noodles today or what but just thought i'd let that out. i do have an appointment with a Urologist on Tuesday. I will update after the visit. wish me luck!

hey man thats good but i was wondering do you have a fever and can you feel any swollen or tender lumphnodes in the inner parts of your thighs (groin area) or in the inguinal area (the area about 2-4 inches above your pubic bone and 2-4 inches to the left and right of the area right above your penis (does this make sense?) also i am a strong beleiver in the harm that comes from over use of antibiotics but you will probably need some for your testicles unless it is a torsion (which i hope its not) and also to help clear your bladder infection so please request a urin culture AND SENSITIVITY test.

Good luck with everything and let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.