Four months ago I could drink alcohol like any other healthy 20 year old. Now I can hardly have a single drink without experiencing nausea and most likely vomiting. A few days ago I got up the nerve to take a few shots of vodka. Irresponsible decision, because I've learned what it will do. I woke up the next morning at 5 throwing up everything in my stomach. This continued every thrity minutes or less for about 4 or 5 hours, and until nothing would come up but the water I was forcing myself to drink. Why is this happening? My doctor originally thought stomach ulcer, but said my abdominal x-ray and ultrasound showed no problems. When I vomit I feel pretty intense stomach pain. I feel nauseated and sometimes vomit without alcohol, but I don't see any association between that and the foods I eat.  I'm waiting on a gallbladder scan later this month, yet my research on the internet tells me that gallbladder issues generally cause more pain than nausea. Though, I know the internets not a doctor. Sometimes I just feel blah, kinda dizzy, and slightly nauseated on any random day, but sometimes I get unbearably sick (that's typically within a day or two after, or the night of drinking). I'm ALWAYS tired. I feel lazy and fatigued most of the time with no particular cause, but I don't ALWAYS necessarily feel sick. I have thrown up when I haven't consumed alcohol any time recently, but its usually short-lived. Any ideas on whats going on? I'd rather not hear "stop drinking," because that doesn't explain the problem. Something isn't right with my body, and I'm trying hard to figure it out because the doctors are allowing me to suffer.

At first I was thinking your gall bladder, but many times this arises after caffeine, fatty foods! So by the end of reading your symptoms - I'm thinking diabetic actually! OR thyroid imbalance! When they look at your gallbladder, they will also - hopefully - look at your pancreas, spleen and liver (actually ask your doctor to do this on the request) So I am going on 4 thoughts 1. Gallbladder, 2. Diabetes, 3. Thyroid 4. Bile duct blockages in the liver/spleen/pancreas!

With either of these 4 you would definitely throw up after drinking! And just because the computer says there are these and these symptoms for this disorder, doesn't mean this is a cookie cutter symptoms for you! You can have SOME of them - you might have some from each! BUT if you look at the top 5 of each disorder, you might be able to relate to them and a light might go off and you will say "Yeah this sounds JUST like me" I can't do links on here, so I want you to Google symptoms and see if you think any of them apply! And OH yeah "Stop drinking" for the next little bit anyway - till they get to the bottom of it! As sometimes IF you really push it with certain organs they WILL come back and show you who's boss!

Nausea?  Fatigue? Alcohol intolerance? I would look to an unhappy liver...  Classic symptoms.  

If you're on the big side (overweight), a fatty liver is possible.  

If you take a lot of Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol, this pain reliever produces a metabolite that "competitively inhibits" the metabolism of "acetaldehyde" which is the toxic metabolite of alcohol, which would greatly increase the likelihood of alcohol intolerance.  This drug is also very hard on your liver when taken regularly, in large doses, or if your diet doesn't provide enough nutrients required to metabolize this drug.  

Phosphatidylcholine (AKA Lecithin or PC) has been shown to help move fats out of your liver, and the choline component of PC helps with alcohol metabolism and liver health.  EGGS have more lecithin (and choline) than most any other food you might eat (peanuts are high in this too).  Eggs also contain "Cysteine" which helps with acetaldehyde metabolism.  Vitamin C recycles spent cysteine (from alcohol metabolism) back into a usable form again so it stays on the job. 

Try eggs for breakfast every day for a while, or take lecithin supplements (look for triple strength if you can find it).  Take a vitamin C supplement before you drink and see if this helps.  Vitamin B-Complex is also important for liver health and alcohol metabolism.  

If your health or alcohol tolerance improves with this in a month or so, you know what's going on.  If it doesn't, it's most likely something else like a stomach issue.  Helicobacter pylori infection or ulcer.  

Good Luck and GodSpeed to you.

PS.  I'm not a doctor!  Always listen to what your doc says, and consider information you find on the internet as educational material you can talk with your doc about. 

Thank you guys so much for your responses. I will definetly consider the things you have said, and give some things a try. One thing that throws me off though, is that my doctor did x-rays and ultrasounds on my entire abdominal area and said everything looked fine. They looked at my gallbladder (which they said looked "slightly contracted" but that could have been due to me eating food too recently and drinking milk), they looked at my kidneys, spleen, liver, so on so forth... So, Would liver issues show up on an ultrasound? Can they physically see that something isn't right from the outside? Because if not, it would make a lot of sense that it could be my liver. But I've been to the doctor about 4 times now and he seems stumped.... you'd think he would have already tested my liver. Ahhhh... this is so frustrating. One thing I have noticed though, if this information is helpful at all, that as far as the alcohol goes, wine doesn't seem to bother me as bad. At my mom's birthday party recently I drank about a bottle and a half of white wine (haven't tried red), and felt just fine. Beer is a total no-go though, light or not. And liquor is a joke. But white wine, seems to handle better. If I knew anything about the production of wine, I may have something to go on. Any ideas?

Yes that is strange! I forgot to ask this - how is your hair and skin lately? Also do you ever feel tender just under your rib cage on the Right side and or the left side? Is your urine dark, and does it have an odor - either smelly or sweet! And other than the alcohol, are you ALWAYS thirsty!?

I' have exactly the same symptoms I can't even touch 1 drink without feeling I'll for days on end how are u now did u get owt sorted?

I rarely respond to these things, but maybe look into gluten intolerance. Before I was gluten free I felt blah, dizzy and slightly nauseated all the time as you described. Now, it depends on the kind of vodka. Some vodkas are gluten free, but before I was gluten free vodkas that weren't gluten free DESTROYED me. Really sick. I would get extremely dizzy (like vertigo) I'm a very responsible drinker and the only time I've every thrown up drinking was once when I did shots of vodka pre-my gluten free era.

I'm 21 and have had to combat a lot of stomach issues so I understand your woes.