Hello! This morning I noticed that my mom had a small lump on her neck. Our neighbor said these could be thyroid nodules. It doesn’t hurt her, and she didn’t even know the lump was there until I saw it this morning. What are thyroid nodules? How dangerous are they? Do we need a doc?

Thyroid nodules are lumps (just like you said) that arise from the thyroid gland. Most of the thyroid nodules are benign, and it could be that it is a cyst filled with fluid rather than thyroid tissue. They can cause pain, but it doesn’t have to mean they will. Your mom should visit a doctor, it could bee an endocrinologists, or even a practice physicians or a general internist. She may have a nodule biopsy done in order to determine if the nodule is malign or benign and an ultra sound to check the characteristics of a thyroid nodule.