I was told I have modules on my thyroid, what are they , could it be cancer.How are they treated.

Thyroid nodules are common and thyroid cancer is RARE but I will tell you about both. So, wait before you worry. After they discover nodules they will get an ultrasound or send you for a test to see what it looks like and how big it is. If it looks worrisome or has certain characteristics they may send you for a biopsy to make sure it's not cancer. I however had cancer. I know that is hard when someone says don't worry, but, I am speaking from experience. I have thyroid cancer I was stunned after they told me it was rare. But, thyroid issues run in my family so I shouldn't have been too surprised I guess. My thyroid was comepletely removed 6 weeks ago and I have to have an iodine pill that is laced with radiation next month to kill off any remaining cells.

DONT be afraid. It's know it's easy to say that now, but, I was terrified just like you once. Don't be afraid, you can do this. You'll see you are not alone and you will be okay no matter what. Remember it is rare. Most nodules are harmless and Ninety percent of the nodules that are found to be cancerous are called pappilary carcinoma. This is a VERY slow growing cancer and it is extremely curable. This cancer does not spread all over your body either; unless of course you leave it in and don't get it out. Thyroid cancer like this one, they think is caused by exposure to radiation in your neck a child. Something causes your cells to mutate. Make sure if you have to have your thyroid removed because of cancer make sure they take the whole darn thing. If you leave a part of your thryoid in the cancer can return. You don't want this surgery twice. Not only does it cost around $50,000; recovery can be difficult for some due to discomfort.

Also, make sure the Dr. you have perform the surgery is a specialist in the field. Don't take just any general surgeon. My surgeon was an Endocrine surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic and she was brilliant. They tested my thyroid output the day before surgery and knew exactly how much synthroid my body needs daily and I don't and have never felt tired since it was removed. Get a good Doc and don't be afraid to ask around. My Doc operated on some of the family members of the people that worked for her. So, it wasn't too hard. But I also know where my Doc went to school and what her specialities are. Learn about your disease if you have one it will make you stronger and less afraid. DO NOT read about cancer on the web that will scare you. Just know what I told you and go no further until you ask your Doc. He/She will tell you what you need to know about it. I'll be here if you need me. God Bless!

Bam Bam -

Thanks for your comforting words - especially about NOT reading about this on the internet. There are times I wished it didn't exist. I know the chances of it being benign or not and wish that is all I knew. Tomorrow I am having a FNA - I have a solitary complex lesion on the left side of my thyroid. Of course I have my laying-out clothes planned in my mind. The anxiety is driving me nuts to the point where i cannot function. Have lost my appetite and of course, I can FEEL the lump in my throat. Common sense tells me this is stress. My husband continues to tell me things will be alright . . even if it is the worst-case scenario. I know the statistics are in my favor . . . but I am a wreck. I absolutely dislike myself for not bucking up and for buying trouble before I need to.

I need your kind, reassuring words.

thank you this ment so much to me and it helped me a lot God Bless you as well

Hi my name is Iva and I also have a lump on the left side of my thyroid, they also did ultra sound and a biospy and the doc called me  at home with the results and I wasn't home so I don't know what the end results are so I have to wait til Monday and I was going crazy so I started looking for some answers on the internet and found your site. thank you for the info it is very helpful as I set here worried sick about then in results. This will help me get through this week end and hopefully I'm looking at the worst of this scary event in my life.

You are amazing, thanks so much as I just got my results which indicated 2 nodules size 3.7 cm and after researching what is the basis of such a disease, it boils down to hormones level. So now im going to start on all that is needed to elevate my hormone level. Flax seeds, soya, herbs, and so much more, tell me if Im on the right track as this is scary for me. I HAD OR HAVE no other issues and im now 61. Talk to me please. God bless you too.
Judit

Thanks, my next step is to see a endocrine.

I have 3 nodules on my thyroid don't know what's going to happen how they're going to remove all three or if they're cancerous or not just staying in prayer have a biopsy test on Monday I know more that day

Hope all is still well with you , i am currently going through what you have gone through , thank you for the positivity xx

Thank you so much I have to have a t biopsy I feel better after I read your message I will sleep better tonight

I'm really scared about this

Me hi I'm Tammy I was just diagnosed Tuesday by ultrasound I have a modular on my thyroids one large and one small I'm very frightened and I'm scared that this is cancer thank you for sharing your story it helped me so much God bless you