Hi everybody. I’m considering to have a liposuction but I’ve heard many personal stories from the people who had it that liposuction recovery can be very hard and even can have severe consequences such as edema. So, I’m having a second thoughts and still can’t decide weather I’ll have it or not... Your comments???

Well, even though the incisions look small, operation affects lots of tissue beneath your skin and it is possible (I should even say likely) that recovery will be long and hard. Operation affects blood vessels, lymph channels and connecting fibers and consequences you mentioned are possible. The combined "traffic jam" of extra blood and lymph trying to find its way to the wound site is quite common and shows up as swelling. This swelling (or edema as some may call it – usually doctors) indeed can create problems which may slow down and harden your recovery healing process. However, doctors are aware of all this and they will advise you what to do during the recovery period making sure that you heal as soon as possible. Also, a vast majority of these operations are successful so I think that it can be considered as a safe.

I have had Lipo twice now...once in Feb. on back, flank and axillia areas...then again in Mar. for the thighs and upper under arms and tummy. Recovery seems to be somewhat of a "c**p shoot". I recovered well from the flank...looks great (only itching now) same with the back ..the thighs are smaller but still pretty giggley...not much pain now. The tummy went flawless and while I have a small lump where the incision is...the tummy looks great. The arms were a disaster...one arm looks good while one arm is horribly deformed and may be that way forever or until I pay to repair. That's another issue to take into account...the Dr. may over a 1 or 2 year "happiness" guarentee but the surgery facility does not. A second procedure will cost plenty, if your not happy. The lumps and bumps and the deformity are all just part of the risk..good luck.

Well how does being overweight effect your life and what you want to do? Are you happy with how things are but would like to loose only a few pounds? If so then I would avoid the process. I avoid all surgeries at all costs unless there is no other way.

Eat right and exercise and make surgery your last option.

Take care :-)

I'm a 45 year old male in pretty good shape who had liposuction of the love-handles and flanks on 12/3 to remove fat that just wouldn't go away with diet and exercise. Huge mistake. 4 months later I continue to have edema, and a lymphadema expert has expressed concern that the lymphatic pathways in that area may have been permanently compromised and the swelling may never subside. Making the issue worse is the fact that the doctor seemed to removed too much above the area of the swelling. The result is that I have a very feminine, hour-glass look. I'm miserable, and dreading summer. I used to love going to the beach, and now am to embarrassed to wear a swimsuit.

This is my first time at lipo; 3 areas, chest, waist (handles), front tummy. I'm a male, 60 years of age, and probably old enough to know better. But, because my doctor has repeatedly told me to get rid of the fat on my front, and after many years of attempting to lose it unsuccesfully, I opted to go the lipo route.

I am currently into day 8 after surgery. I have experienced the normal swelling and bruising, and have had good and bad days. Mostly though, it has been an agonizing experience. Agony, is the only good word I can think of.

Now something new occurred yesterday. My bruised and swollen tummy area began to harden. I called the office as it was spreading to my back and upward to my chest. She said that this may be normal. I don't think so...from everything I've read. So, I go in tomorrow to find out how many more weeks I'll have to endure this agony, now with this new condition.

For a person my age, I wouldn't recommend taking the risk of this surgery. I would have been money ahead hiring a personal trainer at the gym, and dedicated weeks to following his advice, and gotten myself back into shape again. I now regret my decision for lipo.

Dear all,

I had lipo back in april in 3 areas. Upper and lower belly and flanks. I recovered well and wore my garment for 6 weeks non-stop as recommended by my surgeon. My Lower stomach is very very hard and protruding a little. On top of this, my belly button has a round soft lump under it that sticks out!!! I am 28 and in good shape. It has now been 7 weeks and I am worried about this soft sticky-out lump. Has anyone got any advice? I'm so so worried that I'll remain this way!

I just had lipo on my whole tummy area. I am so glad I did it! I couldn't get rid of the fat below the belly button no matter what I did! yes, the skin does harden. That is typical bruising. I am only at one month out and would do it again if I needed to! The pain is not agaony, just a constant soreness to start with and then subsides as each day passes. I was up walking the same day at the gym for an hour. They recommend that. The more you walk the better you feel. I was in my bathing suit this weekend and so confident! I'm looking forward to wearing my bikini by the end fo summer! But what a flat stomach!! I love it!!! Follow the docs directions to a T and you'll be fine. Even ask for water pills as I did to speed the process. I also take Arnica supplements to speed healing. Good luck and do it!

I just had lipo today - belly, flanks ans arms. No real pain. The garment is annoying but not overly so. If things continue this way i woulod recommend to anyone.

I am really happy to hear from all of you that you're doing so well after liposuction. I have a friend that just got liposuction as well. Aside from just recovering from the surgery, he is very happy. It was in a problem area that diet and exercise never seemed to crack and now he feels so much better. I think that it can help your self-esteem so I'm glad that you're all doing well. Has anyone else had lipo done?

I am 6 weeks out from having my abdomen and flanks done. I am 39 and weigh about 115. But, I just couldnt get rid of the pouch right underneath my belly button. I was having a breast augmentation done, and figured I might as well get the belly done too. My recovery has been interesting, to say the least. I have worn my binder 24x7 and have been getting 2 massages per week since the 2nd week. The numbness is nearly gone, and the swelling (which was AWFUL) is I would say about 95% gone at this point.

BUT I have an issue that is completely stressing me out. Right underneath my belly button is a spongy-ish puffed out area about 5 inches across, half an inch from top to bottom and about 1/4 inch in protrusion. It is really hard to describe, other than it is spongy and
HIDEOUS. My doc says it is not common and he says its just going to take time for the "edema" to go away....I don't know what to think or believe.....I have another follow up on Friday...everything else looks great, but this is the one area that was the entire reason for getting the lipo in the first place - and now it looks worse than before. I heard that ultrasound really helps with this type of issue - but my doc says he doesn't do that (?)

Has anyone experienced this?

As for the above questions about hardness - mine was like that too earlier on - I REALLY recommend the massages....it helps ALOT. Make sure you have a licensed masso-therapist that knows what they are doing with a post-lipo patient tho!

I am a 26 year old female and I had lipo 2 weeks ago. I had a total of about 5 lbs of fat removed from my tummy, thighs, side of knees and waist. My doctor informed me of all the steps of recovery and how things would feel and look like each week after the surgery. So I was prepared for the pain and lots of swelling in the first week and the bruising in the second week. Right now (beginning of week 3) most of my swelling has gone and the lumps and bumps are getting into shape as I keep doing the massage my doctor has shown me for 30 mins twice a day. The numbness is mostly gone as well. I will keep wearing the post-surgery garment till the end of week 4 but I am already comfortable wearing pretty much anything (including jeans and suit pants) as long as the garment doesn't show. I also started doing 2-3 mile walks on day 10 and am building up to my 5-6 miles slowly. It's still painful to start running again but I feel like it'll feel ok in a few days. There are a few things I would say to anyone considering this surgery:
1- Do your research and find a doctor who's comfortable answering all your questions clearly. Make sure you look at a lot of pictures from his previous surgeries. My doctor told me why the widely known unwanted results happen and what he does to prevent them (he used very thin tubes and the surgery took 4 hours so that he could remove the fat slowly without a lot of damage to the remaining tissues and so I don't have any marks after the holes recover.)
2- Do not look at this as a weight loss method. See it as a way to contour your body. If you reach your healthy weight but still have areas where all the fat accumulates and you hate your figure/find it awfully unbalanced, then lipo can help. (I was not overweight and my face and upper body would start to look bony when I tried to get rid of my big bum through exercise and weight loss - a typical pear shaped girl)
3- Make sure you have resolved your eating issues before this surgery so the weight doesn't come back. (I was a compulsive eater and saw a shrink to learn to distinguish between emotional eating and feeding hunger as well as means to manage all this.)
4- If you can't take 4-5 days off work for the post surgery recovery, don't have too many areas done at once. I can easily say if I had only had my tummy and waist or only my thighs done, the first few days would be a lot less painful and recovery would be much faster. Although, for me it wasn't too unbearable and I can already say it was totally worth it!

Hi everyone,

I'm recovering from liposuction and breast augmentation surgery. Today is 48 hours since I was out under general anesthesia. I am feeling fine with very little pain or discomfort. I'm walking around and would recommend this to anyone. The swelling began last night and I feel like an oompa looompa. I hope in a few weeks to be thrilled with the results :-)

I had surgery on several areas at home--upper and lower abs, posterior and anterior bra line, flanks, and upper thighs.

That was 7 days ago and not so bad. They told me I would drain over two days or more; it almost all drained overnight. They also told me the worst days would be 3 and 4 (as anesthetic is still in your system for a couple of days). I was pretty sore day 2 so wasn't looking forward to it getting worse, but as it turned out day 2 was the worst (guess that early draining took the numbing with it!).

Days 3 and 4 were good--sore, but I could still see some of the results. The last three days, though, swelling ensued. I don't it is unusual, I'm less sore by the day, some bruising, but not awful (recommend arnica-based products to help heal bruises). But I miss the slimmer contour. I'm sure it will come back.

One thing I have to recommend is massage--you HAVE to massage and wear your compression garmet every day. It hurts at first, but gets better. It really cuts down on the hardening and lumpiness (and the more frequently you do it, the less it hurts. If you don't, don't be surprised if you swell, get lumpy and hurt).

We'll see how this continues! So far, not as traumatic as I thought!

Has anyone had large volume liposuction of the belly .... like if you are extremely obese and have that big hangover of fat? I would like to hear about complications or not.... from that surgery.. and if you got permanent lumps

I used to look great in a bikini before I developed a medical condition that stores fat in the belly.... now I have a huge belly and it hurts my back.
I work out more than an hour a day and watch my diet and I am still obese.

Welcome to the world of PCOS (Michelle Obama can stuff her guilt somewhere else some people do watch their weight and eat right and get fat)