I have asthma since I know for myself. Somehow, I get used to live with such a problem and now I get a therapy and live almost normally. However, last few weeks I have noticed another problem, so I am wondering if there is end to my problems. I have noticed fluid collects on the ankles and this drives me crazy. I would like to hear if there is any connection between asthma and the condition I found out was called edema.

Abnormal buildup of fluid in the ankles, feet, and legs is called peripheral edema, I see you know this already. There are synonyms for such a condition, so it is known as swelling of the ankles, feet, or legs, and peripheral edema. This is the most common painless swelling of the feet and ankles, and is a common problem. This happens particularly in older people, so it does not have to be connected with your asthma. It may affect both legs and may include the calves or thighs. Because of the effect of gravity, swelling is particularly noticeable in these locations, so it is nothing strange. Common causes are prolonged standing, long airplane flights or automobile rides, menstrual periods for some women, and pregnancy. Swelling of the legs may be a sign of heart failure, kidney failure, or liver failure, so you should talk to your doctor. In each of these conditions, there is too much fluid in your body, and it should be solved somehow. You might also talk to your doctor about medicines you are taking to treat asthma, could it be cause for collecting fluid on the ankles.

I’m also an amputee for 43 yrs so I wonder how much this also effects my ankle swelling.