Its been three weeks after removal of lower left jaw wisdom teeth and still the numbness has not gone in my tongue. there is some swelling in my gums too. Doctor cheked and said it is edema and healing is good. that i have to open my jaw 100 times daily upto three fingers spacing consciously for things to be ok. i am not able open more than two. pls advise.

Wow, that is a lot of exercise prescribed for your jaw, but I am no doctor, so I suppose he knows more than I. Basically, if it is causing you a great deal of pain, call your doctor or make another trip in. Explain that you cannot open and close 100 times per day. Try to do as much as possible but if pain is too great, seek medical attention. If he said that the healing is good, that is grea. Did they say how long the healing would take? Try putting a warm or cold compress on the outside of your jaw (check with doctor to see which one) and massage a little on the outside of your cheek. This could help to loosen things up and it not be so tight. If you have concerns though, check with your doctor. Don't hesitate in calling them or believing that you are a pest, you are not! best of luck to you. Keep us posted on the outcome.

You didn't mention any pain associated with the extraction at this time, just the numbness. It sounds like the edema is causing some pressure on one or more of the nerves to the tongue. This is most likely the cause of the numbness. The numbness should recede as the swelling is reduced with time.