Hi I am 28 years old and just had my surgery 9 days ago. The pain was quite unbearable at times and swallowing seemed impossible. I am feeling much better now still minor pain an swallowing still isn't easy. But I'm wondering if anyone has experienced numbness in all or partnof the tongue? I woke up from surgery and the left side of my tongue was completely numb. No feeling at all I asked the doctor an didn't really get an answer. Now over a week later still no feeling. Will the numbness ever go away or did the doctor do something?

I just had my tonsils out 3 days ago & the left side of my tongue is numb as well. I asked my doctor if it was normal, & he said that is was. I think the nerve might just be irritated from inflammation. I'm hoping that it will go away soon. Did you get a horrible taste in your mouth, & if so, when did it go away for you?

Thank u spoon much for the info. And yes I had a absolutely horrible taste it made me sick to my stomacher. It started going away around day 6. I still get a nasty taste every once in awhile but not all the time. I was told its from the draining in the back of your throat. Did u also have your abnoids taken out? I did and that's what the drainage was from.

I didn't have my adenoids taken out. I think the smell/taste is coming from the scabs forming in the back of my mouth. I cannot wait for this to go away because it's disgusting & makes me nauseous. It's day 4 for me, & my tongue is still numb on the left side. I've been trying to exercise my face, while stretching my mouth and tongue to get it back to normal. Chewing gum has helped a lot too. Are you feeling 100% better (aside from the numb tongue)?

Definitely, the patient may experience numbness after tonsillectomy. Unfortunately, I can't give you an advice from my own experience, but I know several people who have taken their tonsils out. Just one of them felt this numbness and she went to see her doctor immediately. The doctor told her that this is normal. Also, sometimes you can feel some nausea, but that is because of the pain killers (if you are taking them). Anyway, my friend told me that you also may experience something like pockets on the side of the throat, which is also one of the side - effects but it is normal - according to his words. It will go away. 

I had a tonsillectomy yesterday and have a very numb tongue today. I'm not feeling too bad though. I'm on a lot of drugs and was vomiting blood all day yesterday (sounds worse than it was - was nausaues and it went after quickly after spewing) but today I feel OK. I heard though that it gets worse from day 3... Is this correct?

I had my tonsils out in begining of Feb and I still h ave numbness on the left side of my tongue dr. said it will feel normal in 2 -3 months well almost 4 months have gone by and it is the same

I am 24 and just had my tonsils removed 5 days ago. The right side of my tongue has been numb ever since I woke up from surgery. I'd really love to know if this has gone away or persisted with others.

I'm 19 years old, and I had a tonsillectomy today, as well as getting my adenoids removed. The whole left half of my tongue is numb, and I'm really weak and dizzy from the pain meds. I have a ton of drainage, and it's hard for me to breathe through my nose. This was my first surgery ever and the pain is almost unbearable, but this surgery was very necessary for me.

I am in week 3 of recovery and I experienced the same thing. I had pain in my lower molars when I would bite down as well. Week two, I started having the feeling come back in my tongue and the tooth pain has also began to subside. I can only imagine that the knumbness is due to the extreme amount of swelling in your throat. It should get better. Good luck to you all.

I have the horrendous taste and smell. I'm on day 6. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. It's painful but I heard it's worth it!
However I still have a numb tongue, everyone's say theirs is the left. Mine is the tip of my tongue. Does the feeling come back?

Hello Chris, i just had my tonsillectomy 12 ago and i could say im 95% healing. No more white stuff on the removed area. And yes, from day 3-7 is going to be HELL! Just make sure u take all ur medications on time espicially the pain killers coz in my experience it totally torture. Good luck!

Sed

My daughter was 6 years when she had her Tonsillectomy. The Dr paralyze her tongue. He used a large needle and went around the number 12 nerve, Not only did he do it on one side he did on both sides. She was unable to eat. and still does not talk right. I was wonder if anyone else had this trouble. This happen several years ago. but she is still can' talk right her tongue just lays flat.

Actually the numbness is from the retraction of your tongue during surgery to hold it out of the way. I am on day 8 and it's still numb.

Absolutely gets worse on day 3. Just take ur meds every 4 hrs or however often your supposed to whether u have pain or not. I'm on day 6 post op