i suffered a bout of fever a month ago during which i had a really bad cough.

the fever went a couple of days later, but a month since, the cough remains - it's light but with phlegm...

the complication - I am a smoker. not more than 5 cigarettes a day and have been smoking for a few years now. so why the cough all of a sudden. The phlegm is clear....

could someone help?

I'm glad to hear that the phlegm is clear, that's a good sign. However, as you continue to smoke, you will probably continue to develop symptoms of your smoking, i.e. a smoker's cough. I know that you said you are smoking not more than 5 cigarettes a day; but if you consider that most of us are awake for about 15 hours a day, your rate of smoking would be about 1 cigarette every three hours. Some would consider that to be a significant number, considering how harmful one cigarette can be. If it is your future desire to quit smoking, as you know there are many support products, systems and groups that might be able to assist you. I wish you well. Let us know how you are doing. Also, if the cough persists, you may want to have an xray of your lungs and other testing to rule out any other developing problem.

The cough is probably more related to smoking than the illness you suffered, although it could also be allergies. It is allergy season around most of the country and many suffer from coughs related to that too. The best thing you can do is be scientific about it for now. Stop smoking temporarily to see if that's the cause of your cough. Even one cigarette per day can cause enough irritation to provoke a cough, so bear that in mind. Good luck to you! Keep us posted.