I am preparing for a half-marathon in about 2 1/2 weeks. I've been gradually upping my milage over the last 2 months. Last week, my long run was 10 miles, this week, 12. Following my run this week, I felt fine for about 10 hours, then developed gradually increasing discomfort over the lateral edge of my foot, extending up to just distal to the lateral malleolus. I iced and took advil last night, and again this morning, without much(if any) improvement. I can not reproduce the pain by palpating my foot. I am able to walk, albeit with a limp. I spoke by phone to a friend who is a podiatrist, who seemed to think it might be acute peroneal tendinitis. I would appreciate any input regarding this situation, both whether the diagnosis is correct, and if so, the best way to treat it. Thanks in advance.

I agree it sounds like peroneal tendonitis. The key to treatment is to reduce tension on the tendons and then decrease inflammation. Use a high quality arch support like superfeet. Also ice several times per day. If you are not better within a week go see a sports oriented podiatrist.