What is this??? Yesterday while I was running the top of my right foot started hurting, kindov between my big and first toe then radiating up my foot. I ended up having to stop my run and have been limping ever since. What the heck could I have pulled in my foot like this just from running???

Anyone have this? I guess I just need to rest it until it's better, just kindov curious what the heck I did!!!!

not enough to go on. i would however ice it down, take some motrin. maybe even take 2-3 days off. if it hurts still the next run i'd see the doctor. could be a stress fracture, bruised bone, sprained, or who knows what. but first RICE it down.

whenever I hear "toes" and "radiating upward".....I tend to think Morton's neuroma. I went to podiatrist and the whole bit years ago as it had progressed where it would happen sooner in the run and radiate all the way up my leg and burn. He made me an orthotic....which I hated. In the end, I switched shoes to move up 1/2 a size and a brand with larger toebox (NB and Brooks) had to get rid of my nikes. Started feeling same thing a few years ago and I moved up another 1/2 size.

Try lacing really loose---or there is a unique way of lacing that alleviates tightness across the top. I know it's show in Galloways books. I bet that jrjo probably has directions tuck away somewhere

sue

Thanks for the input. It's still sore today which stinks. I can't fathom how I hurt it, I was just doing a usual run and didn't fall or twist weird or anything. But now I don't know what to think. I guess just keep off it this week. Would you say keep off it with all exercise, like don't even do the elliptical or just don't run? What a pain....literally.

edited to add some: I looked up the Mortan's thing and it says the pain is more between the third and fourth toes. Mine is REALLY between the big toe and first toe (wait, is that first and second toes or what???). And the pain is worse when the foot rolls up to put pressure on the front as I push off on it if that makes sense. And, now that I am watching for it this morning, there is some pain/tenderness radiating up the outside of my leg....

Generally, at what point with something like this would you even see a dr.? Weeks or days or what? And what kind would you see?

Thanks.

When I have gotten foot pain similar to what you describe it's been due to poor/inadequate/excessive lacing on my part.

Yours sounds like you seriously bruised it, somehow.

I would rice it for 2-3 days. (with no running) If the pain doesn't seem to be diminishing a little each day, then make an appointment--but I would go directly to a foot doc, and not waste time with a gp. (GPs are good, but a foot doc would alleviate you having to get a referral and all the runaround)

I hope you feel better soon!

Uggg....1 week update.

Still hurts, still limping. It's had some swelling on and off and is still tender. I have iced and even wrapped in ace bandage, pain meds don't help. (I haven't worked out at all in the last week obviously). So something is definitely up.

Dangit, should I see a dr.? Will they do xrays and stuff??? What kind of dr, an orthopedic?

What a pain in the......FOOT.

:(

Molly, is the pain at the knuckle of the foot? If so it is possible that it is a spasm. Definitely check out for my info. She has a great forum for questions about these things.
Sharp Pain in the Ball of your foot and cramping of the Toes When this happens you may have spasms in the lumbrical muscles. These are small muscles that go between each of the tarsal bones in your feet, and up to the first joint in your toes. The tarsal bones are the long bones in your feet, that lead up to your toes. Because of their insertion into other, longer, muscles, the action of the lumbricals is to assist in curling your toes up, and down. As you are exercising, you are probably holding your toes one way, or the other, for long periods of time. Ultimately the muscles shorten (called muscle memory). When they shorten, and you try to move your toes in the opposite direction, the muscle pulls on the insertion point. It feels like a sharp pin has been stuck into your foot - in between the toes, but down a bit toward the meaty part of the ball of your foot (base of your toes). To treat them, take off your shoe. Cross your leg over so you can easily press into the ball of your foot, and also the top of your foot, between the tarsal bones. You'll just have room between the tendons, and the tarsal bones, for one fingertip. Press around, you'll find the spasms. It will feel like a tiny pea, or a tiny pebble. Press your fingers deeply into your foot, go in between all the tendons, between the bones, wherever you can find a painful point - that is a spasm. When you find the spasm, just hold the pressure on it, as deep as is comfortable - and you'll feel it ease up. As it is getting less painful, the muscle spasm is melting. We suggest you keep poking around and look for any other spasms that may have developed in your feet. A golf ball is a wonderful thing to stand on and roll around under your toes, ball of the foot, arch, and heel. It will help you to find, and treat, lots of spasms. It's like a quick "foot reflexology" treatment. Your feet will feel great!