Last night after my run, I noticed the top of my foot was inflamed and it hurt to the touch. Today, it was very sore. I ran anyways, and now I'm wondering what the heck this is. I remember Shelf having some problem with the top of his foot. Does anyone recall what this is. I'm going ot have to rest it and hope it goes away. The pain radiates down the farthest metatarsel (?) extending from the big toe...when I flex or move that part of the foot.

Shelly

How does your shin feel? Do you notice the pain running up your leg at all? It is possible it could be your Tibalis anterior.

I had a similar pain, or at least it sounds similar from the way you describe it. I took a month off running and it healed up for the most part. I started back slowly after a month and it would get slightly irritated, but after very light workouts for another 3 weeks, it was fine. Haven't heard from it since.

could be anything...but guessing from your description this is what i'd guess....

tendonitits
morton's neuroma
stress fracture

the part concerns me is the 'hurts to touch' part....if it persists aftern a couple of days of icing and NAISD treatment, i'd be betting on the stress fracture and order you to go see a podiatrist or sports doc immediately.

---
megawill

I'm just taking it easy with the runs. It's still very painful and flares up after a run. I'll have to look up some of the injuries you all suggested. Thank you for the advise.

:1: get that foot to a doctor Missy..... :nono:

I developed a simialr pain in my left foot towards the end of a 5 mile threshold run last night. It felt considerably better after I took off my shoe so I thought that maybe I just did the laces up too tight. It seems to be flaring up again today though. Did your problem go away? Hope its not too serious - I've never had pain there from running before. :umno:

Good news! I'll bet it's your lacing method! Yup I had the same problem, still do as a matter of fact, if I don't lace my left shoe up in the prescribed manner, I get a sore tendon? that goes from my big toe on in to the ankle just like you. The lacing method is quite simple actually, you just lace up the shoe begining at the bottom of the tongue first, maybe the next holes up on each side (of course) and then skip to the top two holes. Run the laces up along the sides of the tongue rather than criss-cross to get to the top holes. The idea is to have nothing pressing down across the top of your foot. You need the top crossed of course to keep the shoe on but you'll find this should relieve the pressure and subsequent pain on the tendon. You maybe have a high arch too? This accentuates the pressure. If the lacing doesn't help, maybe try it with another shoe? Good luck to you, this solved it for me!

I'll try it on my 6 miler tonight. Thanks for the tip.

That six miler never happened last night but I did six miles this morning with the new lacing technique. Big improvement on the top of my foot but I have a hard time getting my shoes as tight as I normally like them. Found a slight problem with my shoe rubbing on the side of my foot. I'll keep trying this way of lacing for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for the advise!