I'm currently suffering from pain in my left foot. This was probably due to staying in old shoes for too long as I logged about 400+ miles on my previous pair before changing into a new pair earlier this week. However the pain persisted in the new shoes as well even though they were supposed to be the same fit (stability) as my previous pair. I ruled out PF (plantar faciitis) b/c the pain seems to be coming from the front half of my foot (the top part) not the back of my heel. It could be a metatarsal problem but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

stress fracture?

is it only while running? all the time? more details...

No I don't think it's a stress fracture b/c of the generalized pain (stress fracs are more specific-you can pinpoint exactly where the pain's coming from). The pain seems to flare up when running or walking for too long. Also it seems like it gets worse in the morning and eases up a little during the day or after a hot bath.

Tim from what I've been able to pick up on your description, I'm willing to take a punt and say its TENOSYNOVITIS.
The tendons over the top of the foot are vunerable to this condition. Possibly a direct blow, possibly friction from tight shoe laces, or more probally overuse strain. All these can cause irritation between the tendons and their covering sheaths.
Tell me this Tim, is pointing your foot down painful? If you touch the tendons and move your your foot you may feel a 'grating' sensation.
I'm no Physio Tim but I reckon I've had every running injury known to man. ( My own stupid fault)
So my suggestions are.....
Check your shoes for tightness over the mid foot and roughness of the shoe tounge. If necessary you could place some extra padding under the tounge. No running. No over streching until the 'grating' and pain has subsided

On the top of your foot?
Not the bottom/sole?

Thanks man! (and everybody else too) :) That could be it (probably due to overused shoes). I'm feeling somewhat better now, having rested for 2 days but I'll probably take a few more days off until the pain totally subsides.

Have you been wearing Airhead's Keds?

I have been having almost the same pain the past few days. The top of my feet hurt like they would if you wear shoes that are too tight/too small. I think I figured out what the problem is. On my long run (22 mile) Saturday, I wore my newer sneakers that I had only run two 6 mile runs in. I thought I would be fine because they were the same style sneakers. But I guess they weren't broken in enough for that long of a run. Now I am paying for it. :?

no ideas, tim, but if it's just the shoes i've been there. it takes a while to recover, but before you know it you'll be pounding pavement again...hopefully something with more shock absorption. hang in there. :wiggle: