I recently read a great book that helped me get a handle on what was going on in my body and what I could do about it in a practical way. It's called the Anxiety Cure by Dr Archibald D. Hart. Dr Hart, a psychologist, has struggled with anxiety disorders and so decided to research what was happening in his body. I found the strategies excellent. I use them daily and are so much calmer now. I hardly ever have an attack and if I feel one coming on I go to the strategies I've written out for myself on palm cards and remind myself what to do.

Highly recommend the book. Hope it works for you in the same way as it did for me.

My symptoms started after what doctors believe was a toxicity to prednisone. I am now on klonopin .5 2X at day and take methyl B12 to help with neve regeneration. I do not want to stay on klonopin forever, but the symptoms of neuropathy, sweating, and overall feeling of malaise are unbearable otherwise. Any suggestions?

Thank you for all your info, I have had the same symptoms like everybody else. I am glad there is more people the same physilogical problems as I. I have been Dx with anxiety. I have taken beta blockers but since my pulse is usually low I had a lot of side effects. My HR will rise only when I am in the flight or fight reaction. I have taken anti-depressants and have not helpped for me, make me lazy, and cannot think. What I wanted to add is that my daughter who is 14 has the same problem I had. I remember seeing her trembling and sweaty since she was a baby. I personally don't believe that this is a psychological problem; it is physiological.

I realize that this is an old post, but I have had these symptoms plus more since 2003 and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue in 2004. Two years ago I did see a chiropractor who sent me to see another one to take X-rays of the Cervical part of my spine, C1 was okay but C2 was out of alignment, I received treatment for awhile and it helped. Last week I found a research document from a doctor in Mexico that found Fibromyalgia is caused by the Autonomic Nervous System becoming hyperactive in its response. All the symptoms here it on the nail to my own experience initially. Please research The ANS and Fibromyalgia, it's quite interesting.

Hi, im seeing a shrink who specializes in the nervous system. What a god send, let me tell you. yoga,epson salt baths and guided meditations are all great places to start. But the most important thing is learning how to center or ground ourselves. Of course there is more to it but if you can figure out what works for you (usually a few things) being "fully in your body" and releasing that excess energy (the head or feet) off. i realize it sounds all new age hippy, but i have seen more improvememt in less than three months, than i have in 5 years. good luck everyone! Im rooting for you

I have found the SSRI Paroxetine (paxil) calms my nervous system down. It helps with all of my overactive nerve symptoms. Without it I have anxiety, stiff muscles, digestion problems and a jittery feeling

I started on paroxetine 18 yrs ago for panic attacks and been unable to come off them since. 6 yrs ago i started to get very poorly and thought it was fibromyalgia, but the mental health problems out weighed the pain so i researched till i came up with the overactive sympathetic nervous system. My doctors have been useless with coming up with anything from my huge list of symptoms and just think im a hypochondrac and have reffered me to a phschiatrist which im waiting to see. But as i google so much ive learnt allsorts. One thing is, that taking the anti depressants for anxiety can actually harm you repairing your nervous system as certain ingredients aggrivate it. I need to cut mine down if poss or find alternative that doesnt include it. (My memories so bad but i think it was serotonin...... google it). After reading so much i believe the only way to heal it is via food and by detoxing. try the paleo diet, its very strict though, but at least remove all grains from your diet, google the long list, and cut out sugar and lower dairy. Things like artificial sweeteners are so toxic and processed food has so many additives that these foods stop you repairing it. I found all this info when googling how to fix an overactive sympathetic nervous system.

Neurotherapy and meditation are proven to restore balance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

It really sounds like you have POTS syndrome!
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia. Look it up on utube and google. I have this condition and it took 10 years to diagnose. Most doctors are clueless. You need to see an autonomic Neuroligist.

Hi Mandy, How are you feeling these days? Be Well, KM

Of course an antidepressant effects the nervous system!!

Thank you that was an excellent article it actually helped to calm me down a little thanks again