I had bunion surgery about 5 months ago. I'm 16 years old and have severe bunions on both feet. I play sports and am constantly running around and going through a lot of shifting and moving. before the surgery the pain was unbearable and felt like I had two broken toes. I went to the doctor after a few years to when the pain was just too much and he told me I needed surgery. I chose to do one foot at a time because I wouldn't be able to walk on it for about 6 weeks so I chose the one that hurt more. I had nerves being pulled on the side by the bunion and my toe was shifted to the side. Now 5 months after I am in the same about of pain as before and then some. My big toe is not only still numb( which the doctor told me was apart of the normal healing process) but the big toe also does not touch the ground. The pain is so bad when I am playing basketball that I need to stop. It's the bottom of my foot under the big toe and around where the bunion was removed that hurts, should I be worried/get this checked out? Or should I just deal with it?

First off, I think you should call up the doctor's office and schedule a follow up appointment. That would be the best thing to do mainly because they have all the necessary info about pre- and post- op state of the bone, ligaments and tissue around the removed bunion. The second reason why I think you should make sure your recovery is going as planned is the thing you said - your big toe is still not touching the ground and that, by now, should be getting at least somewhat better. Overall recovery after the bunion surgery can take almost a year. It makes sense when you take into account that the procedure requires bone, ligaments and tissue around it to heal.

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Thank you so much! Making an appointment for after Christmas!