My child complained about symptoms like pain and soreness in sternum area, sometimes on tightness in chest. He is an overweight kid, but I just can’t make him to stop eating. I know that he is lazy also, but I am hoping that he will change. Anyway, a doctor checked him and he thinks that he has GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease). I have two questions: what causes GERD? and what treatments are available for kids?

If your son has GERD that means that his stomach contents have tendency to back up into his esophagus and causing the symptoms like pain and soreness in sternum area, as you said he felt and gurgling stomach acid back up toward the throat. Certain food can cause the problem: chocolate, peppermint, tomato, black paper. About the treatment I know for one case in neighborhood. I know that kid, who suffered from GERD also, had to avoid food that triggered symptoms and I know he never lay down after a meal; his mother always took him for walk after a meal. There are also various medications for neutralization of acid and for straightening stomach valve.