Hi... This post will be a bit long because my problem is sort of difficult to explain, but I hope that someone else out there has heard of this before and can help.

I am a 20-year-old female and I have had a strange stomach problem for several years now. Rather often, at least twice a week, I start to feel pressure inside my throat. It feels like a bubble is expanding from my stomach and pressing against my throat. It's very uncomfortable but there is NO PAIN... People usually say "Maybe it's heartburn/acid reflux" but there is no acute pain, just an extremely uncomfortable pressure in my throat.

Anyway, I start feeling this pressure, and it worsens until I start getting "gurgles." Every few minutes I'll have a feeling of a bubbling up inside my throat, which often makes an audible gurgling sound. It continues to worsen as the "gurgles" get more frequent and more intense. This condition NEVER goes away automatically. It only gets better if I lie down for a while. Sometimes it does not get better until after I fall asleep.

Carbonated drinks and coffee make it more likely to happen, but it can happen any day, regardless of what I eat or drink (yes, I've looked for correlations -- nothing). It happens more often at the end of the day, and if I spend the whole day on my feet it has a 90% chance of occurring in the evening. Forcing myself to burp doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? It's clearly some kind of gas problem but no one I've asked about it seems to have heard of it before. Please help!

You may have a mild case of hiatal hernia. Abdominal crunches may help strengthen your abdominal muscles and reduce the frequency of gurgling. See a doctor for treatment.

I realize you wrote this two years ago, but I have the very same problem and am wondering if you ever found any solutions or help. Please respond if you happen to see this. Thanks, and hope you're "weller" now.

I have the same problem as well. Sticking my finger down my throat to force myself to burp tends to release some of the pressure feeling, but the uncomfortable feeling and gurgling sounds don't go away. The only thing that seems to help me is laying on my back for a long period of time. I have no idea what causes it as it happens during random times.

I have a same problem , i tried all the different medicine but nothing seems to be working , one day i tried raw garlic clove , WOW , it work like magic , try garlic clove or garlic supplement.

I have the same thing except it is painful and feels like a heart attack except it is down the center of my ribs. It is happening more and more frequently despite what I try to do to improve my diet. It feels like a big gas bubble in between my ribs and only carbonated water will help a little...

I have exactly the same problem but without the gurgling. The pressure comes up out of the stomach up my throat and makes me salivate. I find hiccups seem to settle it down usually. No diagnosis yet either. Dr first labelled it GERD and tried several medications with zero success. Extremely irritating. Gastroenterologist was stumped and is recommending an ear nose throat specialist, I think he's wrong. I think it's either the stomach or to do with the sphincter muscle. Comes on random, can't pinpoint a food or drink that triggers it. On occasion I may have slight heartburn. Very frustrating.

I have a same problem. please let me know the remedy worked for you. I have been taking prilosec from 5 days but no success.

Same here, Prilosec kinda medication doesn't help it. Comes and goes in 4-5 days, mornings are sometimes very hard to get any food cause the stomach is kinda irritated. On top of everything I feel depressed, frustrated and tired, my mouth are getting dried out. Made tests on intestinal parasite and they were positive. Taking some drops and medications. After a week now is not better yet, but I hope it will get fixed very soon.

I suffer the same thing. Have you found anything that helps yet or learned more about what the problem stems from?

I suffer the same thing with the very uncomfortable pressure in my throat. This also occurs with loud throat gurgling noises. It will typically come on in the afternoon onwards. When it gets very bad sometimes I gag/retch severely. It started after I began orthodontics along with many other symptoms most of which disappeared after early removal of orthodontics. I also don't burp and never have. Have you found any answers? If so please let me know.

I have these same symptoms, it is lumped in with Gerds and is called globus sensation.
I find that sometimes my stomach just does not digest and I get the lump in the throat with the gurgling and discomfort.
The lump/pressure can be a result of too much acid (most people) or not enough acid (me). I take apple cider vinegar until the stomach starts moving again, the apple cider also helps the pressure/lump.
If you are high acid, use baking soda in water (it's alkaline), if you are low acid use apple cider vinegar in water.
How do you know which one you are, try one, if it makes it worse, it's the other one that works for you.

Please do not assume because you have Gerds that you have too much acid, it's the general belief and my doctor put me on anti acids meds and I was in pain. You could be low acid.

do a search on globus sensation

I also stick to a very light diet until the issue resolves itself (smoothies, broth,yogurt)

I have the same problem and have for many years. I am a 29 year old female. I have been on Prilosec for 5 years and like many of you... It does not stop the gurgling. Diet doesn't stop it either. I've tried no coffee... No chocolate, tomatoes, whatever... Nothing really works. It flares up more when I don't sleep as much. Lately, I've noticed that if it happens after I eat a big meal, I also get drowsy. I am 7 months pregnant at the moment and it has gotten even worse :( I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and maybe that's really what causes it. None the less, I have yet to find a cure, other than laying on my right side. When I lay on my left... The gurgling never stops.

The person on some web site says its an upper esophageal sphincter (UES) dysfunction

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use