I had a stress frac in my foot last year a few months before I got pregnant, and now that I'm starting to run again more I'm paranoid about getting another one.

I remember the dr. said to take calcium supplements so I'm starting that again.

Can your shoes make a big difference? Can getting orthotics help at all?

Just wondering if anyone has had them once and if they did anything different to help prevent future fracs.

Thanks.

I'm sorry I have no advice. My only thought is a softer running serface. Asphalt instead of concrete. Or trail running.

Your avatar is way way cute!!!

Stress fractures are nasty little things. I've never had one, but I am scared of them. My only advice has been mentioned by Dancer (run on softer surfaces if possible) and when running, ease into the milage. If you've been out a while, don't run an exorbitant amout of milage. Let your body build the milage up. The schock of too much milage in a few days could not have a good result.

Surface is very important. I use the treadmill for short runs just to get a soft surface.

Shoes. Go to a running store to make sure you are using the right ones. Replace often. I change every 300 miles but lighter people may get more out of them.

You should have a cadence of about 90 per foot/minute. If you are lower, you are probably heel striking. This not only slows you down, it creates more shock. I have to constantly work on this.

Increase your milage slowly. 10% per week rule with every 3 or 4 weeks use as recovery and cut your milage.

i've never had one, but are old fracture sites more likely to refracture?

I wonder that, too.
I've only been running on the treadmill, so that's good I guess.
I have on my list of things to do to get new shoes, so I'll try to actually get that done soon.
I'm trying to ease into mileage....but I'm only doing 2 miles at a time right now (maybe 3 times a week) and if I do the 10% rule thing it will be forever until I get my mileage up. But I don't want to get injured either, so I'll work on not pushing too much.
Do things like orthotics help prevent stress fractures?
Thanks for the input!!!

change your running shoes often. I tend to buy less expensive brands so I change out 2x fast. I would think that orthotics could help, as supposedly high arches and/or pronation increase liklihood of fx. The big factor is hormonal. Women that have irregular menses are BIG candidates. I wonder if "controlled" menstruation prevents your chances in any way????

Are you osteoporotic? Was it the 5th metatarsal? I'd say that the distance and intensity of your workouts has more to do with it than running surface. Even shoes are more important than running surface, although surface is a factor. Your body weight could be a factor as well. Tell us more, a lot more.