I have a bump or sweeling of rectum tissue right at the sphincter or entrance hole, It is very painful and it feels hard. What could this be?!

Health Advisor
It could be a hemorrhoid or even an abscess but I would see a doctor if I were you.
Abscesses are bumps that formed due to bacterial infection and they can cause swelling and pain. I would say that it is one of these two considering the pain but you better rule out any tumors.

However anal tumors may cause similar symptoms and may be confused with hemorrhoids. There could also be a painful lumps that itches and causes bleeding, so I wouldn’t play games but rather have this checked. Hope everything turns out ok.

I am an 18-year-old male with the same symptoms as SkiGuy. I found this thread through a search engine.

For a few days I've had a hard, painful bump exactly on my anus. I can't see it when I look in a mirror, although that may be because I have so much hair in that area. (But I clean the area every day.) I went to bed a few days ago with no pain, and I woke up the next day with extreme pain every time I moved the muscles around that area. It is getting better every day, but this thread caught my attention. It hardly ever bothers me. It doesn't hurt when I sit or during excretion, surprisingly. It only hurts when I touch it or move the muscles around that area. I have never had sex which rules out STDs.

The thing is, I am not willing to see a doctor about this unless it will threaten my life. I'm the kind of person that lets everything heal on its own. Do you think this will heal on its own?

I'm the healthiest person I know. I never get sick. It's been six years since I've had a cold. I wash my hands many times during the day. I have a hard time believing I could get a serious infection. But what do you think?

its a blood blister, same as one you would get on your thumb.. it should be gone in 2-3 weeks, it will slowly get better

i have spots that are white and bumpy on my penis what are they?

i accidentally posted this. i am the one wondering about the question in the box below.

Yes i had a question similar to the first guy on this page. Im worried about a discolored sore-like bump right next to the opening of my anus; it is painful and makes it extremely difficult and uncomfortable to clean myself after passing bowels, it doesnt seem hard, it seems like, as to your definition, like an abcess. I just wanted to know if it would go away. Do i need to see a doctor? because id really rather not if i dont have to, but if i do, okay. but it is about the size of a black bean, and i can see it in the mirror, and any sort of muscle contraction or touching of any kind hurts. i can also feel it when i sit down. i just am tired of it being a 24 hour annoyance. i've had it for about 6 days, and it just seemed to appear out of nowhere. i'm just worried. im sure it isnt like a tumor or anything, and i can rule out sexual oriented because i am a virgin. i just need a good answer please, someone who knwos what theyre talking about, because its starting to affect my life in that its always something im feeling now. reply as soon as you can, and thankyou.

I used to have the same problem - the doctor told me to get docusate sodium (brand name "COLACE" but the target version is cheaper) to use as a stool softener. This takes pressure off the anal sphincter and eventually it went away. If I get too stressed, or sit for extended periods of time it will come back, so eat healthy and stay stress-free!!!

i have a white bump on the outside of my anus and another one on the inside of the anus. it doesnt hurt. it only itches a little bit when i touch it but other than that the bumps are just there and im just concerned about what it may be. the last time i had anal sex was the end of march but it was protected. im wondering what this is? im afraid of seeing the doctor because im not out of the closet and i dont want to have to explain that to him. what should i do?

I'm 16 year old male and I have something similar in my anus, around the entrance but inside. It doesn't feel like most bumps because I can move it around the skin. Sometimes when I wipe after using the bathroom i see blood on the toilet paper. I'm a little scared, someone help? Should I be concerned?

I mean that I can move it around under the skin. Apologies.

Just yesterday, I discovered a bump near my anus and that area has been aching on and off since last week. Think it'll heal on it's own? Should I see my doctor? I'm 16 years old, btw, and I also feel like I've been constipated.

It is the same with me. I'm an 18 year old male, I'm very fit and active, and heavily involved in sports.

Recently (well yesterday at work) I discovered the same problem. When I move the muscles in that area, or even when I am standing still with butt cheeks clenched, there is quite considerable discomfort.

It is right on the anus opening, on the right hand side, about the size of a pea, and is causing me a bit of concern.

My initial reaction was that it might be a tumour. But for me, so long as it isn't life threatening I am fairly happy to just let it heal.

What does everyone think on these things? I read a post where a Net Doctor said it was like a blood blister, and might take 2-3 weeks to fully heal. I'm hoping thats what this is, yet mine doesn't seem to have any discoloring.

Weird =/ ... And awkward.

i am a 19 yr old male i have a bump on my anus on the left side i am a very clean person i wash down there daily i dont know what it is but it is painful i have been thinkin what it might be could i have cancer or hemorrhoids and how would i have got it im very active i just woke up with it one morning and im concerned what could it be?

"What you describe is a perianal haematoma, or external pile. Despite this name, it is not actually a pile at all, but is really like a blood blister such as you get on your thumb if you trap it or hit it with a hammer.

What causes a blood blister in this situation is that when the bowels are opened the anus stretches, and sometimes a tiny blood vessel will rupture and cause a leak of blood just under the skin. It raises a pea-sized swelling right on the margin of the opening of the anus. It is very tender at first, because the skin is stretched over it in this very sensitive region, and when it is further stretched by passing a stool, it is even worse.

Most of these haematomas do not need any treatment. I expect that by the time you read this, yours is already getting more comfortable. In time it will become pain free, and then it will slowly start to shrink in size, but it may be a few weeks before it disappears altogether.

When they are very large they can be excruciatingly painful and sometimes it is better to carry out a small procedure to let the blood out to relieve the pain. I am sure this will not be necessary in your case.

One other thing to mention is that sometimes as it is getting better, the thin skin over the blood blister bursts, and some very dark colored bits of blood may be seen. If this happens, don't worry. Just keep the area scrupulously clean and it will soon stop bleeding and heal up."