Um... this is sort of gross, but I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a small lump on my anus. I discovered it last saturday. When I touch it, it is painful, and it feels like it has a small hard lump inside of it that moves around. My doctor said that it was just a muscle or something to that extent, but it feels like someone is sticking something up in that area when I sit on it, and I don't know why. I have never had anal sex, nor am I sexually active at all, in fact, i'm a virgin... I do have some problems with constipation and stuff. Sometimes the stool has red blood in it, but not always. I used to eat a lot of spicy foods, but have sworn off of them back in like august... Should I get a second opinion on this, and if so, what sort of doctor should I see about this?

thanks for any input anyone can give to me.

What you describe is a perianal haematoma, or external pile. Despite this name, it is not actually a pile at all, but is really like a blood blister such as you get on your thumb if you trap it or hit it with a hammer.

What causes a blood blister in this situation is that when the bowels are opened the anus stretches, and sometimes a tiny blood vessel will rupture and cause a leak of blood just under the skin. It raises a pea-sized swelling right on the margin of the opening of the anus. It is very tender at first, because the skin is stretched over it in this very sensitive region, and when it is further stretched by passing a stool, it is even worse.

Most of these haematomas do not need any treatment. I expect that by the time you read this, yours is already getting more comfortable, then it will slowly start to shrink in size, but it may be a few weeks before it disappears altogether.

When they are very large they can be excruciatingly painful and sometimes it is better to carry out a small procedure to let the blood out to relieve the pain. I am sure this will not be necessary in your case.

Dr Keith Barnard, GP

You've probably got an abscess.

I had one removed last Friday along with a hemorrhoid.

GIS abscess for more info. If it is abscess, it'll probably need attention sooner or later.

i have this problem as well, this morning there was a bit of diarrhea, but i started bleeding a bit, then when i wiped there was something resembling a bloodclot like from a bleeding nose and a fair bit more blood, now it just bleeds a little bit everynow and then when i move, is this just like a scab now that rubs off?

I have sort of the same kind of problem. I wasn't sure if it was enough to go to the doctor for, but I noticed a marble-sized bump in the same area, close to the hole, probably a couple weeks ago. It's not protruding outwards, it seems like the surface is flat, and it's more under the skin. It does move when touched, and doesn't really hurt much to the touch, only when I sit does it hurt. And when I do sit, it feels like something is moving around. Not to get too descriptive, but when I took a BM about a week ago, there was blood on the paper. It burns more than anything, and is a real nuisance. Not sure if this is a roid, if there are more in me, or what. I've never had anything like this before in my life. More bothersome than anything...

yea so i have symptoms very similar, thank god this site exists i was beggining to get morbidly depressed and thought i probably have cancer.

I am having a problem too! The lump I have is kindive outside and I have taken advice from other people that had hemroids. it is gross and it hurts but I have actuall tried to push them back in, perscription ointment, and Tucks pads. It has been 3 days and nothing. My BM have been softer and easier since I have been taking fiber pills but I am traveling tomorrow on a plane and visiting my husbands family for a week. They have so many activities planned and I am miserable. Of course I have to sit all day at my job, that does not help! What should I do?

yea so i'm 18 and im wondering if it's a little bit of an early age for having to deal with this at such an early age...this sh*t hurts man

i think it's been because i've been wiping a little too hard
i've always been a really vicious wiper

help please o.O

well it sounds like a hemroid to me im glad if i helped at all hope u feel better ;-) javascript:emoticon('XD')

Hello , I also have this problem and it seems there is a suprisingly large number of people with this exact same problem (according to google). Same thing , small pea sized lump just to the right of sphincter that tends to get gradually painful over a day or 2 then subside as quickly as it came. The first few topics I read were not really answered by anyone in the know but I thank the Good Doctor above for his reply , I'm sure that has helped a few people out. (I know I have been worried thinking it may have been a cancer , quite the embarrassing thing to get checked out too).

However , in my situation this is re-occuring ... I've had the same thing for years now and it flares up for a few days every now and then for reasons I haven't been able to pin-point precisely ... I was thinking it was when my diet was especially poor , or possibly stress. When it first started I also thought it may have been from wiping too harshly but this seems not to be the case. What the doctor above said makes sense as this time I had been eating poorly , not much to excrete really and then I started eating alot more than usual so there were more "solid" stools , coupled with extra strain to excrete them ... sounds like this has caused (or re-caused) one of these "perianal haematoma's" mentioned. I'm yet to look more into it though as I haven't yet seen any mention of it re-occuring over years ... also this time it is slightly larger and more painful than previously. Bit of a worry.

Well , I'm Sorry for the long post but I think the more descriptive info the better for anyone else looking up this condition. Also not sure if Links are allowed but this doctor said very similar : ]
Good Luck Everyone :)[/url]

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Yeah me too....mine is also recurring, right now it's back and I have to try sit on only one butt! And when I sh*t it hurts! Today I took some anti biotics hoping it would help but alas same pain. Thank god for this site. But Dr does this keep going on forever and is there anyway we can stop it . Please help.

Sounds more like an pilonidial cyst than a hemorrhoid. The cyst is a blocked hair follicle that becomes infected and is not in the anus but rather in the crack area. A hemorrhoid is soft tissue that comes out of the anus.

I have this too and I'm 11
I've had smalller ones before but they went away, I've been putting TCP on and its helping relieve the pain
mines only sore though, doesn't hurt too much.
might just be my hormones cos i might be going into puberty.

I had gotten very bad food poisoning and had become very constipated with watery, soft and muddy stool. I would have to go every 30 minutes. Miserable. Wiping became painful and i thought it was from the food poisoning. Wiping turned into "Dabbing" and I decided to take a look under. I noticed that i had a very small, pain sensitive, skin bubble.  I have not been sexually active in any way for it to be an STD. I began to think it was some kind of cancer or like infection.

I'm now guessing the painful constipation caused this.

Thanks for this site. Peace of Mind.

What if when they leave they keep coming back?