3 months ago I started feeling pain around where my cervix would be. I feel like I have cramps when I really don't. Sex became more and more painful to the point that we don't do it anymore which is really becoming frustrating on both sides. I've had 2 urinalysis done, both came back negative. I've been on Bactrum and Cephalexin. My gyne did an internal exam and she said the pain was coming from my bladder and urethra. I've also had a pelvic and trans vag sonogram and they both came back normal. I had a cystoscope today and he said that looked fine too. When I have sex, the rubbing against my urethra is what hurts. I also have burning after I pee. Urologist wants me to come back in a month after taking another perscription. I've seen a lot of posts on here about similar symptoms, but none talk about painful intercourse. Anyone else experience this? I'm a 29yr old female. Thanks!

Hi honey! When I first started reading your symtpoms I IMMEDIATELY went to Endometriosis! Have you had a laproscopy done? Also IF your cultures come back fine, WHY are they putting you on Antibiotics?

Honestly, that is what I've been thinking more and more. They put my on antibiotics the first time before my cultures came back 'just in case'. The second time I had surgery and had to take them. The doctor perscribed another antibiotic but I didn't take it since I had already taken 2. I was diagnosed with IBS because they couldn't find any other reason for my lower abdomial pain (bloating and cramping). I just wasn't sure that you could get endo. on your urethra? I will call my gyne and make another appointment with her. They all think I'm a hypochondriac! I haven't had a laproscopy but it has been suggested several times by my teachers (I go to school for sonograms). Thank for the suggestion!

I haven't heard of endometriosis on the urethra either - BUt that doesn't mean it isn't on another organ and causing you problems! Painful sex and pain and bloating are HUGE symptoms of Endometriosis! So lets see what the gynecologist says OK? Don't go in there stating "I think I have endometriosis" say "It has been mentioned to me by family and friends that my symptoms sound like theirs when they were diagnosed with endometriosis!" ALWAYS let the doctors come up with the idea - even though you are pushing them into that directon! As there are a LOT of hypochondriacs out there and it gets to them, so write it down and then write the answers down! Let me know OK? Good luck honey, hope this helps you!

Just got back from the gyne and she still insists it's my bladder. She was pushing on where it hurt and said it was my bladder and my bone. She gave me some numbing cream to have intercourse but that doesn't help the pain I'm in every day. I'm so beyond frustrated I'm ready to go to the ER and not leave until they fix the problem! I have an app on the 5th with another urologist for a second opinion.

AHHH the numbing cream!! You know what REALLY ticks me off about that?! Is that they give you it, to bascially say "Well numb it and do it and that's it!!!" To me they are NOT fixing it, they are just saying - "go away" Years ago I was given steroid injections into my vaginal scars!!!! o.O :'( It was the WORST pain I've EVER been in - including 2 deliveries of babies over 9 lbs with no medications!- so after this it numbs your vagina for several hours. My ex gyno told me to go home and have sex as much as possible to "rub away the scar tissue!" So not only was I in distress and feeling sick from the pain, and not even interested in having sex at all, BUT now my husband had been told to go at me like a wild animal!!!! I had NEVER felt so like and IT before in my life! And I thought to myself "this is IT!!!!!?" This is what I have to ENDURE for the rest of my life?!!

I think it is time for you to change doctors, painful bladders are one thing - BUT that doesn't cause terrible pain in your vagina - last time I looked they are 2 different parts of you body and don't have anything to do with each other!

Ask for Vaginal Dialators. These are wax phalic inserts that start out VERY small and then you work your way through each one - you can warm them use them in the bath, and also make them cold! So you insert the smallest one - with lubrication - and breathe through it and your brain learns to cope with it and it's not too bad, then you work up! It was my life saver! Also seing a Vaginal physiotherapist is a fantastic thing - they use pressure poiints to release the pain! After 17 years of pain, I now can have normal sex - even though slightly painful but tolerable!

Did I ask you how old you are?

OMG that sounds absolutely aweful! I would never want to have sex again!

I am 29. I also was born w/out ovaries and am on birth control as a form of hormone replacement. My periods were so bad (cramps) that I have been taking the pill non stop for the last 2 1/2 yrs. Before that time (even during that time) when I would stop or even miss a pill for a day I would get cramps and bleeding. She thinks not stopping for so long is the cause of my cramping. She told me to take the pill w/ a week off to try to get a period and see if the cramping stops. I have not gotten a period for the last 3 months. I told her I know the difference and it FEELS like cramps but is not cramps, it's cramping. I am looking into different doctors tomorrow.

I looked up the script the urologist gave me before I got it filled and it too was a numbing agent. On the site it says do not use more than 2 days and he gave me a script w/ refills!

Do you have endometriosis?

No I had Dismenorrhea - PAINFUL periods! My pain was so bad that I couldn't stand! The same gyno put me on the pills to stop my period for over a year! EVERY time I went to have the perscription filled the pharmacist would say "Is your doctor REALLY SURE about these!" So then we decided to have a 2nd child, I went off the pills and we got pregnant right away! My son was born disabled, so I always wonder if they had something to do with it! The reason why I had numbing creams and injections is because both my boys did MAJOR damag to my vagina and other parts! My 1st gave me over 50 internal vaginal stitches!! My 2nd I had a 3rd degree tear! So my yoohoo went through a lot! And the lack of compassion from specialists was underwhelming to say the least! 1 doctor I went to, put his hand inside without a glove or lubrication I bled and was in agony! So I've been threw the ringer with ALL of this and have found out what has worked and hasn't! My new gynecologist did give me the numbing cream too, and also refills - they just don't want you using it ALL the time!

Why don't they just put you on a hormone patch!? Do you have at least some ovary? So your period must just be vaginal bleeding - from the build up of a lining! Have you been put on Progesterone only pills? I would think that this is the best for you! I was put on a patch for my libido, it helped quite a bit! I do believe in having pill breaks - to let your body get back to some normalcy! Has it been mentioned that your bladder has dropped?! I am just thinking this because of the lack of ovaries! It would make sense for the pain etc.!

I've tried it all pretty much lol. Did the patch..the edges get like a bandaid and fuzz sticks to it..plus some bad side effects were reported from that. I don't have any ovarian tissue so without any estrogen replacement I am considered post menopausal. I already have osteopenia from not being on the right amount of estrogen.

The numbing medication the urlolgist gave me was a pill that would numb my bladder and urethra but I don't like taking medications to begin with and just was not comfortable with this.

The other night I had to 'relieve some frustration' and ever since then I have been in so much pain...and now even more so since the gyne was pushing on everything. If I can't see someone today I'm going to the ER or walk-in clinic. I can't take this anymore! After all of those antibiotics I did a treatment of Monistat but she said it looked like I had some yeast so I started another treatment of it last night.

Pills to numb your bladder!!!!!? WTH!!! Anyway I will keep my fingers crossed honey and please let me know what is happening - I am thinking that you definitely need to have hormone work up and find out if you are have menopausal symtpoms with your vagina and bladder! Have you had a bladder ultrasound - a dropped bladder would also give you this problem!

Had my other app today and this urologist (actually it was a nurse practitioner) put my on detrol and physical therapy. She thinks it is my pelvic muscles spasming, but that doesn't really make much sense to me since the only symptom of that I have is the pelvic pain. I'm going to try it just to see if it works.

I am 28 and I know how you feel. I have had painful intercoarse, burning urethra, and bladder uregency/pain for almost 2 years. I have had 2 cystoscopys - not IC, a laproscopy - not endometrosis, MRI;s- not pelvic congestion syndrome, pudendal nerveblock- made bladder hurt more for 2 weeks after, localized nerve blocks- no change. I have tried over 25 different meds to try to find a diagnosis or some relief with no luck. The uologist refers me to the gynocologist and the gyno refers me to the uro. I just go in circles. I have seen 3 uros and 2 gynos, and a neurologist. They now think I could be either mucles so I may start biofeedback or a nerve problem. I have not had the nessary tests for urethral diverticulum and and trying to get this done too. It upsets me that I still do not have a diagnosis. I think that there should have been more research over the past 200 years since womens pelvic pain had started and Drs should stop thinking it is just in our head. It is real and it has a huge inpact on ones life. I only hope that awareness of this problem increases and future generations do not have to go through what I had to. Any comments or ideas are welcome. My heart goes out to all women suffering.

I'm 23 and began experiencing constant urethra/bladder pain and vulva pain 8 months ago. I've been through so many doctors and nobody seems to come up with a good answer to my problems. I have had a pelvic ultrasound, urinary system ultrasound, multiple swabs and urine samples to check for infections which all came back negative. I'm about to undergo a urodynamics test but I doubt that will show anything. The only thing that I could put the start of the pain down to was a fall on my lower back playing tennis. The main thing that has really helped my pain is seeing a physical therapist. She works on releasing trigger points in my pelvic floor which could be impinging on nerves. The muscles in my pelvic floor had become so tight that even inserting a tampon was painful. I also take Lyrica which can help reduce pain. So if all the tests are coming back negative I really recommend finding a physical therapist that specialises in women's health. I have probably seen my pain drop from a 7 to a 3 over the past 6 months. Hope that helps someone! :-)

Hello Guest! This is who I saw, and she did the trigger point on me an then ordered the Vaginal Dialators - which work FANTASTICALLY, it gets the entire area relaxed and make it think that sexual contact will be JUST FINE! It IS a growing area in the medical field and it WILL evenentually break that painful cycle! I NEVER though I would have some sort of a normal sex life again but I do - I still have those twinges and sometimes have to stop! BUT at least it is enjoyable again and our relationship is not that old "Sex as a weapon" mentallity that my husband would think! Which does NOT add to your overall state of mind does it? Another great place to go is a Chronic Pain centre - they usually have Vaginal/Rectal Physiotherapists and doctors there too! As babies are bigger and bigger more and more hospitals HAVE to offer Tear Programs for women who have had Pelvic Trauma! And even if you haven't had a child, IF you have experienced pain down there then it's Pelvic Trauma - Right?! So keep on with the physio it's strange, BUT it helps SO much! Good luck to your and all the other women on here!

Hi Bambi,
It's the 23 year old again. I'm using the dilators currently but i still feel like it's not working. How long did it take you to get better? Also, were your symptoms urethra pain? I'm currently seeing a urologist about that aspect of my pain and she wants to do a cystoscopy to check if things are ok. I'm quite terrified about setting off my pain again. Does anyone have experience with this?