I am a 40 yr old male, and over the past three years I have had a re-ocurring and worsening problem. It starts with an attack that feels like a heart attack (tightness in chest, pain, light headed, sweats) that usually lasts a few hours. 3 years ago, that would be it. 2 years ago, it startted happening around once every 2 or 3 months. The doctor found esophogeal candidiasis, was treated for it, but could find no underlying cause. No HIV, I hadn't been on antibiotics, not immune system problems. Treatment worked and that went away. Now, the symptomology is a regular occurance. I have been diagnosed with bad acid reflux (GERD) but stay on meds for that, and now a case of heartburn is rare indeed. But I still get the problem. It is less than a heart attack (which has been ruled out by the way) and now feels more like bad cramping in esophogus and chest that last for a few hours accompanied by panic, sweats and dizziness. Laying down or sleeping helps. There is almost a constant tighness, like a muscle cramp right under the edge of the ribs, and when it is bad, in the middle of my back. As it begins to escalatte, I feel bruning and tighness in the muscles in my chest and back, most especially under the shoulder blades, pain in the left arm and shoulder, and now recently there is a new addition. There will be a sudden flushing or burning sensation that starts in the left pectoral msucle right near the sternum, and then within seconds spreads to the left side of my face and jaw and right up to the top of my head, but it is strictly limited to the left side, it almost never spreads to the right, and is always followed by diziness and headache. Then for a couple days afterwards the left side of my face feels like the aftermath of windurn or having been slapped, that slight burning tingling, tight sensation, but not in the skin, deeper in the tissue, and then there is the neck. If I sit watching TV on the couch with my neck turned to the righ, the left muscles in the neck do tha same thing, they burn and cramp.

This has become and almost regular occurrance with the chest pain probably every two weeks and the flushing burning at least once a week. I am almost always tired, and emotionally drained, I sweat at the drop of a hat, and as the day progresses each day, my pulse escalates as well. By the end of the day, I am so aware of my heartbeat that it feels like a drum in my chest. When I start the day, the symptoms are usually less and tolerable, but as the day progresses, they worsen, and by night time, well let's just say I give up and go to bed. This has almost killed my ability to do anything. I never know when it is going to hit and debilitate me, and to be honest, it scares the c**p out of me. My doctor seems stumped. We have had test on my liver and galbladder all good, upper GI series, and abdomonal CT's all good. Chest x-ray shows no sign of cancer, and my cardiologist (as of a year ago) after the stress test said heart was good. Any help here would be appreciated.

did you ever figure what this was?????

did you ever figure what this was?????

***

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

i have the same issues....

What good is telling someone on a site what is wrong, without the solution or at least where to go if you have a similar problem?

mrdornan wrote:

I'm 25 years old & have the same problem, had it for 6 months.The tightness on left side of face(mainly left cheek) has only recently started to happen.. very scary stuff, some times takes very long to fall asleep at night.I have been to a few doctors & the keep telling me that it's not my heart & could be inflamation

Have you had any developments with finding out what this problem is ?

YES WHAT IS THIS MY 15 YEAR IS GOING THOUGH THIS AN IT FEELS VERY SCARY WHAT IS IT I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW,THE ER DR SAID IT WASNT HEART BUT WE CALL THE PAN NURSES AND THEY ARE LKE HURRY GET TO THE NEAREST ER AND BE CAREFULL AND ALL THE ER DRS DID GAVE HER A NEEDLE FULL OF MORPHINE......HELP DESPERATE MOTHER ON THE VERGE OF A BREAK DOWN ALONG WITH THE DAUGHTER HELPLESS IN KILLEEN TEXAS....

I am having most of the same problems. Tightness in the left side of my chest, erratic heart beat/pulse, I get flushed at the drop of a dime and the left side of my face feels really tight, almost sore. I also feel like my left lung is going to collapse and causes some shortness of breath. Does anybody know what this is????

I have many of the same symptoms as well. I have a very heavy chest feeling on the left side, erratic pulse, dull pain in my left shoulder and the left side of my face is really tight, almost sore. These symptoms come and go, and seem to be worse at night. It is very scary, and my Dr doesnt seem to know what to do.

I too was diagnosed with GERD and I take Nexium. I've had an Ecocardiogram, stress test and halter three months ago and they found nothing wrong. I had a chest xray about 5 months ago, and that was clean. Also had an ultrasound on liver/kidneys/gallbladder and all looked fine.

Does anyone know what this is???? Please help!

I am getting hot and flushed on the right side of my face and neck area.It sometimes even goes down to my chest. Then my heart starts beating fast. I was at the ER several times . Lots of tests. EEG, EKG, Cat Scan, MRI and then an MRA. They found out that i had a dissection of the vertebral artery and a pseudoaneurysm at the C5 C6. This means that i have a tear in the vertebral artery that is leaking blood. The pseudoaneurysm is called a "fake aneurysm" as it is just a blood clot that has formed over the tear.I take a 325mg asprin a day to keep the blood from clotting on the inside of the artery until i see my Neurosurgeon.Ask your doctors about doing the MRA. The vertebral artery runs down the back left side of the neck.I am scheduled to have a Angiogram in 4 weeks then the docs will decide what to do with me. Hope this might help someone with their problem.

Hey, I'm having the same symptoms for like 6 months to this day. My left side of face is swollen, with swollen lymph on the left side of neck, neck pain and stiffness that goes all the way to the back of the neck, some minor pains under the left rib cage, abnormally slow bowel movements ( once in 2-5 days) and all of that after I got a pair of skin cysts on the left cheeck and after three cylces of three different antibiotics. My Dr's and my own guess is that it could be related to a sudden expossure to cats, namely a couple of cats brought into the house after being born and grown in the wild. Right now I'm undergoing tests for Toxoplasmosis and giardiasis.  I should note that last week during an HIDA test of the galbladder I felt the sporadic pain in the same places of abdomen and chest as they were injecting me with some sort of liquid to enhance imaging, bit when they injected the CCK liquid, I felt it very strongly in my left under ribcage which could be atributed to inflamation on the spleen, and then the pain disseminated to the left side of chest, left shoulder and left side of neck.

I don't know if this can help anyone but at least I'm trying as much as you to find out what's the cause and how to treat it. My guess was that it had to do with the cats since I do NEVER fet sick, not even flu, and then in a period of 15- 20 days after the cats came into the hme, I got those symptoms ( back in Jan 03 2011) then in April 10-15 I presented the soar throat, neck pain and the formerly explained symptoms. I took Ciproflaxin for like a week, then 2 weeks later it all returned, so I took Clindamycin for 7 days, and yet the symptoms returned a couple of weeks later. So in my opinnion, which almost always is correct since I learne everything about the subject before guessing, it should be the Giardiasis first back in Dec 2010, symptoms appeared in Jan 2011 then Toxoplasmosis in April due to a pair of new cats arriving at the house. I will update as soon as I know for certain, hope it helps.

I had a similar problem to this, though it was isolated to my neck and the
side of my face. Ultimately, it appears to have been caused by sinus
infection flair-ups. As far as I've been able to figure, the inflamed
sinuses put pressure on the trigeminal nerve causing the facial pain, and
the lymph node inflammation pressing on the nerves in the neck (vagus
nerve?) caused the neck and upper chest/shoulder pain.

The easiest solution I found was to monitor for early signs of infection,
then start peppering my food with tons of garlic (onion should work too)
if anything was out of the ordinary. Garlic and onions contain an
antibiotic called Allicin, and supposedly the mycoplasma bacteria that
cause the secondary respiratory infections (evidenced by yellow/green
mucus) can't develop an immunity to it for some reason.

Regardless of the cause, I'd still be prone to think that anyone who has
this sort of problem has a neurological issue. If not infection-related,
then possibly a herniated/bulging disk or something

you should be on diet for gerd. no coffee ,alcohol, chocolate, acid ie; grapefruit , lemon etc; . eat a low fat diet . no deli foods , no chinese , no italian
There is a good web site for help . sharon gilsoms diet for gerd.

I would highly recommend looking at your diet and prob cutting out wheat, dairy spicey foods etc as will help the digestive issues. Drink lots of peppermint tea too..it will help calm tbings down. Also go and see a good chinese herbalist / acupuncturust as will definitely help u. If u r in London look up Ken Lloyd..he is the best or one of in the Uk.You will be amazed! Good luck :)

You should consult with a chiropractor about your chest pain. He might help you to get rid of this pain.