I have a problem that I am going to try to explain. When my foreskin is trapped behind the glans it cannot go forward. I am diagnosed with problem that is called paraphimosis. Doctor told me it might mean no more than being the owner of a broad glans or a short foreskin. However, I have heard it can be a medical emergency so I wish to hear more about it.

First that you have to know, if the retracted foreskin becomes swollen with fluid, its appearance can be very alarming. This may happen when male fall asleep with foreskin retracted, for example. However, if its color is bright red, there is not yet need for concern. If you have a retracted foreskin and pain, inability to urinate, tight band around the back of the glans, or a firm or hard glans, it is very important to bring the foreskin forward to its normal position. If this is not done, the tissues may die from want of fresh blood and the glans may even fall off. You should know that dead or necrotic tissue is black. You can probably bring your foreskin back yourself, where the procedure is very like getting a tight ring off your finger. The essence of getting the glans back through the foreskin is not stretching the foreskin, but rather it is compressing the glans. Gently squeezing it and pushing it with your thumbs will press the blood back down the penis. This is going to make it smaller, so it can then be pushed back through the narrowest part of your foreskin.