I describe my "problem"...

When I have the flaccid penis, the foreskin completely covers the glans. In erection, the penis is discovered not completely alone (that is, I must pull back "manually" the foreskin), but I haven't any discomfort or difficulty. However I noticed something "strange". In fact, when my penis is erect, if I leave the foreskin back, when the penis goes back to being flaccid, the glans remains exposed: I have to cover it, moving the foreskin "forward". I thought that, normally, when penis becomes flaccid, the foreskin must to cover the glans automatically. In fact, many boys say they will not be able to keep the glans exposed: their foreskin comes back (alone) in his original position.

On the internet, I found this answer:

• "When the erect penis back to being flaccid, the foreskin must cover automatically again the glans. If it does not, and the penis remains uncovered unless you manually bring back the foreskin on the glans, the causes can be different. For example, you might have a large glans, foreskin a little tight or the frenulum very elastic..."

What do you think of these considerations? Are they correct? The text then continue as follows:

• "Anyway, if you can voluntarily leave the glans always exposed, you are lucky: some men can not. Moreover, a lot of men, that can keep their foreskin retracted, decide to do it and this is a common practice or even an "aesthetic rule" in some cultures (such as Japan). Keep penis always uncovered has many benefits in terms of health, especially with regard to the hygiene intimate and the non-hypersensitivity of the glans. Surely this "procedure", at least initially, it might be annoying: but over time you get used to having the foreskin retracted...

In any case, at the end, I have chosen, (for the aesthetics), to keep glans always exposed. Also, I can say to "being educated" in this direction from my parents: as a child, I was used to to take a shower with the penis uncovered.

According to you, I do good or bad?

Health Guru
Hi, it really depends on the penis if the foreskin goes back over the head on its own.
My foreskin will stay back all the time once I pull it back even if flaccid when I pull it back.

Here is a recent discussion we had about that. Scroll down to Gadget's post a little more than half way down.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Permanent_foreskin_retraction_or_avoid_it__t264510.html

There is no rule for how it is supposed to be. We are all different. I cannot get mine to stay back. It always finds it's way forward even when I leave it back after masturbating. When I was a kid it was tight and did not want to go forward when I was still erect so I would often leave it back and go to sleep after my nightly masturbation. By morning it was usually back in place over the head but I liked it on the occasion that it was still back. The head was fun to play with after being exposed all night when it was smooth and dry and not as sensitive. It felt nice to touch it and rub it then. That's when I discovered the joys of dry rubbing the bare glans to masturbate.

So whatever feels best to you, that's the way to do it.

I don't see hygiene as a part of the problem. My mother taught me to retract it to wash my glans at bath time so I have always done that anyway. The only advantage I can see in being able to keep it back is that smegma will not build up so you should not need to wash it off. I don't believe there are any proven health benefits either way.

Gadget and his kids keep theirs back because it looks good in their speedos and it feels good. They are lucky to live in a country where males and females appreciate the appearance of each other's genitals. Sadly, I am in the US where we are taught to hide from each other in shame.

Some men like to wear their foreskins permanently retracted. They seem to do
okay with it.

Other men, especially those with longer foreskins, are simply unable to keep their foreskins retracted. Their foreskins roll/slide forward when released and recover the glans penis.

The danger is that paraphimosis may develop. Paraphimosis is the name of the condition of a retracted foreskin that is stuck behind the glans penis (head) of the penis and will not go forward. One can read about paraphimosis on the Internet.

If the foreskin is tight enough it can cut off blood circulation to the head and cause edema (swelling due to fluid accumulation). Paraphimosis should be promptly reduced when it occurs. Paraphimosis may be reduced by squeezing the head of the penis really hard to force the blood to leave the head. This will temporarily reduce the size of the head at which time the foreskin may be brought forward.

If attempts to reduce the paraphimosis are unsuccessful, then one should go to the emergency room of a nearby hospital. It is not necessary or advisable to be circumcised although some old-fashioned doctors are likely to recommend it.

If you don't get paraphimosis then you should do OK. You may expect to lose some sensation as the head becomes keratinized from permanent exposure.

Can I just say, this comment is the most informative on the internet about this particular topic. I, too, wear my glans exposed just because when I was younger I knew nothing different. It was only recently I discovered there might be something wrong. Many times I have tried to find answers and all I get are warnings saying "go to your doctor", "you have paraphimosis". but this comment told me everything I have needed to know for months, thank you