I have had problems with my lower back for more than two years. I have seen five doctors in the past eight months with no help as well as treatment from a chiropractor for three months. So I figured that I would just have to live with the back pain. I had even gone to the emergency room because my back was in enormous pain causing me to favor my right side. I was tested for kidney stones or infection, and was negative. I was given a shot of Demoral with no releif at all. This past weekend I was working on my house and due to the amount of stress put on my back, I woke up the next day with back pain and my right foot fell asleep. The sensation lasted more than 12 hours in my right foot. I went to my family doctor and explained the back problem once again and the right foot problem. He recommended an MRI for the lower lumbar region of my back and stated Paresthesia of the right foot. So I am scheduling the MRI as soon as my medical coverage clears this. The problem got worse that night. On the advise of my doctor, he told m to take one Skelactin before bedtime. I had advised him that this medication did nothing for me for releif of my back problem. He aslo offered more Steroid medication, which also had no effect on my condition, so I refused the steroids. That night before I could fall asleep, my right arm started tingling and falling asleep, and then my left arm did the same as well as my right foot. This scared me. This has never happned to me before. I have an appoitment with an Orthapedic Specialist, but thats not for two weeks. Should I advise my doctor what happened regarding my arms and foot? Im concerned that if I wait too long, my condition may worsen. I will know today if the MRI has been clearded by my medical coverage.

I know the condition of having peresthesia as a while back my brother was going through the same thing, only he didn’t have this large pain in the back like you have. He had the chronic peresthesia and it was occurring just anytime with no specific cause. Sometimes he would feel a slight pain but it would quickly go away. He went to the neurologist and was said that this was nothing serious and sent his to electrostimulation therapy. A few months later, he went back to the same doctor and he explained he had a chronic peresteshia and he explained that the sensation of “falling asleep” foot happens when a blood supply to a nerve is cut off . He couldn’t be specific about what was causing this but stated a few disorders that are connected with this, such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency, trauma, inflammation etc.
Have you done the blood test and urinalyses in order to detect metabolic or nutritional abnormalities? Maybe you should do a electromyography, among other examinations, this was also recommended to my brother. Unfortunately, until you detect the real cause of the condition you are in, you’d have to live with the pain in the back. I suppose it’s some nerve just squeezed somewhere in there, but your neurologist is the one to diagnose it!