Hi, im 19 years old and just had a partial colectomy done about four-five weeks ago. My promblem with my bm's has been treated. But leading up to my surgery I slowly had to take things out of my diet because I would get terrible cramping and wasnt able to have any bm's whatso ever. I got to the point where it was all I could do to keep ensure down i would throw up everything and it was awful. I kept dropping more and more weight. I have now had the surgery and was in the hospital for a week, and was in a ton of pain because I dont respond to epidorals or any other pain meds so the pain was unbearable. Every time they would try to have me eat I would get super nautious, and a few times I ended up throwing up which hurt a ton. Also while I was in the hospital I started developing pnemonia which led to alot of breathing problems. They decided to start me on a type of water pill that was to hopefully clear out my lungs. It didnt completely clear up before they discharged me from the hospital so I was pretty scared to go home because I'd be on oxygen. I than got home and my surgeon didnt really give me any help on what to eat whatsoever he just said eat everything but red meat and you'll be fine. Once I got home I would try to eat and i'd have so much pain and I would just lay there and cry due to the pain, and threw everything up. I started eating baby food, and drinking jello(just not letting it set up)But I knew I couldnt live on just jello and baby food. So my mom took me to a nutritionist and he is a great doctor, and has advised me on a diet for two weeks of just fruits, raw vegis, noodles and breads. So I have been trying it out and raw vegis kills me like no other so im not able to eat them. I am pretty much stuck with eating maybe a half of a banana, a few bites of noodles, and just whatever I can think of that will be softest of my stomach but that goes with what he wants me to eat. But even eating that stuff I get a ton of pain. I am maybe getting 100 calories in a day if that. My energy level is close to nothing I cant get off a chair with out help, and I have to always have someone with me, because I cant walk on my own at all. I constantly have to have assistance. Im at the point now where I cant even lift my legs up onto the couch or as a matter of fact not even when I walk. I need any help that I can get for ideas to get to the point where I can eat without such awful pain. Im 5'6" and normally around 120 pounds and super athletic, and now im down to atleast 90 pounds and am looking so gaunt
I need help please!
thank you so much!

Hi 19,

I'm sorry you're in such discomfort. Were there any findings? What meds are you on now.

Unfortunately the pneumonia in the hospital is a common occurrence. Are you still on the oxygen?

Post back and we'll see what we can do to help.

Hi, we havent found any findings yet, and I havent been on any medication sense the hospital because it doesnt do anything for me. But I just barley got off the oxygen in the last week
Thank you so much for your help

Are you still having the cramping with the new diet? How are your bowel movements?
Some cramping is to be expected. The wave like motion, peristaltic action, of the digestive system that moves food along can be disrupted by surgery.

Was this done laparascopically?

Unfortunately It can take a while for recovery, up to about 8 weeks as you're finding.

Yes every time I eat something I get awful cramping. My BM's are super watery, which I dont think is uncommon.
Do you think the reason I have such problems eating due to not eating solid food for about 2months before the surgery?
It was not done laparascopically. Is getting it done laparascopically going to change anything?
thanks so much for your quick response!!

No, I don't think having it done laparascopically would change how you're feeling. It isn't always an option, depending upon the severity, but it usually results in a shorter hospital stay and faster recovery.

I don't think what you ate before surgery is causing any of these eating issues. I think it is a result of the surgery. Your digestive system is still healing and may not be able to tolerate these other foods. Give it a little more time.

Are you keeping hydrated? Have you tried Ensure since. I'm more concerned with your losing weight and strength right now.

Ya I have been drinking a ton of Apple juice. But ya I have tried Ensure and everytime I throw it up and it affects me for about a day or so afterwards with awful pain. Is it typical for after this surgery to have a super noicey stomach? Oh and I cant really tolerate things that are cold, I have to heat up my Apple Juice before I drink it..is there any reason for that?

Noisy stomach, digestive tract, yes. The apple juice is probably aggravating it a bit as well, can you try some other juices? It's the sugars in the juice. The banana, in moderation, is probably one of the best things for settling your stomach.

Apple sauce is good, you can warm it and up, even try a dash of cinnamon as it can help with any bloating feelings. Apple sauce uses the whole fruit so it has pectin. It can help firm up your stools.

Whatever you try, do it in moderation. Hope it helps.

What type of juice would you suggest?
But that is awesome advice thank you so much :-)

Thanks!

Try grape juice, white grape juice in particular. Cranberry juice as well. I know both of these are a little more bitter. You don't have to give up the apple juice, you can mix them. Just try less apple juice.

Hope it helps.

ill try this for sure thank you so much ill let you know how it goes!

Is it possible you're lactose intolerant?