I was diagnosed with colonic inernia about 6 months ago and will be having a total colectomy done on may 15. What is life like honestly after the removal of your colon? Will I be able to use the bathroom like any other normal person or will I have to face a disappointment? need help!

After having had the 4th doctor in 30 years suggest that the only solution to my chronic colonic inertia is a total colectomy, I have scheduled surgery for June 4th. I believe there are those of us who simply don't have other options. I'm sure you've tried everything possible and came to your decision in the best way possible. I wish you all the best and hope to hear that you are having an excellent recovery.

Hi I have a few friends that had colectomy. They are doing just fine. They do sports a little bit, have normal meals and drinks. You will need just a little time to adjust your body system to this. I think that there is nothing for you to be worried. I hope that your surgery goes well. Fill us in on you surgery and recovery.

Thanks for your supportive reply. Reading this ater a sleepless, panicky night makes me feel much calmer. You're right, my body will have to adjust to the changes, but in the end, all will be well. I am trying my hardest to remain positive and upbeat. Replies like yours are very helpful.

Well I am really happy that you are doing well. And hope that you will stay positive all the way. It is important for one to think positive, because it help the body heal faster and better. I think that you are a great person and that you will be just fine.
All the best.

In an effort to remain honest about this process, I have to admit that I had a total meltdown over the weekend. I was so filled with fear about what can go wrong with this kind of major surgery that I just lost it. Fortunately, I have a very supportive spouse who let me rant and cry my way through it. If there was any possible other option I would take it. But knowing that I have done EVERYTHING including all traditional and nontraditional forms of treatment once again reinforces my decision. I simply don't have any other options...except to continue to live the way I've been living... and that's not an option! Thanks for your support and kind words. I sincerely appreciate them.

It is not simple just to admit that this is the last thing you can do. As you said you have tried everything, but you know that this is the one thing that will cure you. And after this you will be ok. You are very lucky that you have so supporting and loving husband. It's really nice to have someone that you know that you can count on all the time. Maybe it's for the best that you had a meltdown over the weekend. You got it out from your system, and now you can be stronger for your self. I really hope that you will be all right.

Meltdowns are going to be normal at this point. I know that you're about to go into major surgery--well, that's a normal reaction! I think it's important for you to keep perspective. If anyone in your situation acts any differently than you, I'd surely like to meet them because surgery is scary to go into, no matter how old you are. I know that some people who go to have surgeries done even see therapists because it's difficult to deal with. I hope that your surgery goes well and I wish you the best.

I know I posted on this about a month ago now but I was wondering how oyu were doing since you last posted. Have you gotten the surgery yet? How is your mental state? I am sure that you are probably a lot more at ease now. Let us know okay?

I have just come across this chat about Colonic Inertia. I also have been advised to have the entire colon removed. I do not want to do this and feel that if I can get the structures fixed (I have a rectal prolapse and other things) then I can ork on the colon and get it working again. My doctor says that is not the case. I am desperate as I have not had a bowel movement without enemas and colonics for 8-9 years. I am so reluctant to take out a part of my body that is needed for good health that I keep stalling making a decision. Please let me know how your own surgery went.