The day i had the exposure i asked the galif she knew her status ,she said she had tested negative about a year a go and she acually thought she is neg.But some how in my heart i didnt trust her 
so the next morning i go to the doctor and he starts me on PEP comibivir alone.i too the meds with very strict adhence. after abt 8 days i started reading alot of staff on the internet and i asked my dotoctor y he only prescribed for me a comibivir alone yet the stardrad PEP is a 3 drug regimen. he said he considered my exposure not very high risk since i didnt know the status of the gal.i think i was stupid i trusted the doctor i should have bought a 3rd drug in order to get maximum protection.the side effects where just a night sweat and a little fatigue which lasted 4 days there after i was fine until i completed the 28 days of pep infact i too an extract dose for the 29 th day since i had lost count of the days.my last dose was in the nite. the the next day at about 4 pm i get a twich in my left eye,i really didnt take it seriously it went away just for a few seconds,then in the nite that day i get a sore feeling in my left arm,ooh ooh that is when the panick attacks started ,then i got joint pain in the left leg ,the next day i had a midly chill just for about 5 minutes.i kept on expecting a fever it never came,then the next day i was very fine the whole day.on the 3 day i be gan feeling soreness in my groin areas and activity in the lymph nodes the axieity level where over the roof ,i atasrted feeling fatigue and headache that would last 5 minutes and go away.My biggest worry is the swollen lymph nodes ,i have them in my groin they are still there.I have tried to wait but the sympotoes worry me so much. i have almost given up hope for a negative result but the more i read staff on the internet i get more confused.i have read one post and it has rest my fears .i am postive ,i stated PEP too let,the eye twiching meant that the virus was suppresed from very part of my body expect the eye once i finished PEP the virus started replicating again that is why just after i had stopped PEP i got the eye twitching and then the feeling spread to the rest of my body. 
i know the test will be postive so i can more on now .QUESTION.What are my chances given my story above?Are there glands in the eye.Am so scared i may take my life.

Hi Mark,

When, how long ago were you exposed?  Did your doctor do any testing?  What were the results?

Usually after an exposure, we test, to establish a baseline and put you on the drugs.  In 3 months you return for another test.  If it comes up negative, then we consider you not to be infected.  We also do a 6 month test, more as a verification.

Are you still seeing your doctor, or another doctor?

Your symptoms are not specific.  With the swollen lymph nodes you may have an infection but as to what it is, can't say.  Swollen lymph nodes in the groin are indicative of an infection usually in the feet, legs, genitals, or groin.

One indicator you have not mentioned is usually you feel like you have the "flu" within a month or so of exposure.

Don't give up - EVER.  Treatments are available, not a cure yet, but you can live a long and productive life.

Hope it helps.

i was exposed  on 27th dec ,started pep on 28th dec after 28 hours.i finished pep on 26th Jan.then that is when i started getting the sympotoms,it is 5 weeks after PEP and i still have joint pains. and once a while i get a headache ,my nodes have been swollen every since.my skin is peel and dry,

i started nPEP after 28 hours ,did i stated PEP to late? the next day after PEP my eye started  twitching Did this mean that the virus was suppresed from very part of my body except the eye and that once i finished PEP the virus started replicating again that is why just after i had stopped PEP i got the eye twitching and then the feeling spread to the rest of my body.Help me with this one.What do u think

,i still feel activity in my lymph nodes like they  is some war going on up in there,i cant see any reason why they would be swollen other than HIV. cause the last time they where swoollen was way back in 1994 when i had a wound on my leg.Any answers? cause i have failed to get any my self.

i am already considering my self in the very unlucky few.cause the way things have been playing out ,i dont see luck on my side.if i didnt have the swollen lymph nodes i would be far more confident even if i had the fever,cause am in africa malaria is very common but my nodes swelling as freacked my out far way too much.any way it is the only thing i have been thinking abt for the last 2 weeks ,if by any chance which i guess is very smll abt 1% from my analysis am negative,i know i will never sleep around cause what am going through is near death it self.if am positive then i will try and live out the rest of my years the happiness way possible,But first i have to deal with this.Swollen node.

surely if she wasn't infected i wouldnt be getting the sympotoes am getting, 
in the past i would even go 3 years with out even getting a head ache,i last had a cold in nov 2009 and it was just mild,generally speaking my immune system as been strong given am in the tropics.So when i get  swollen lymphs ,and joint pain at the time am supposed to be sero converting it gets me worried ,worried sick.so i see from the responses am getting most of u think my risk is really high  but how high u cant tell me,i have seen other post where pple have been told there sympotoes or the time is wrong for sero conversion,but me it seems it is the right time and yes the sympotoes are there but i shld be praying that the sympotoes are caused by som thing else.The only thing i can think of is that just t completion of PEP i was a little Anemic ,my skin was peel and dry .the anemia must have been cause bt comibivir but am slowly recovering from that ,it didnt even bother me alot.What are ur thoughts

Hi Mark,

Starting PEP within 28 hours it should be effective. You can start it up to 72 hours afterwards. Headaches are common side effects of the PEP, I know, they're still happening.

HIV is a general infection. In many situations it would not just be the groin lymph nodes that were swollen.

Have you been tested?

The eye twitching is likely unrelated. It's not an indicator by any means.

You say you were anemic? How was this diagnosed?

Mark, the only accurate way to know if you were exposed is via testing. You have not indicated any of the "classic" signs of infection. Get tested, and then have the follow up testing done, it's the only way to know what is happening.

Just because you may have been exposed it does not mean you will become infected.

If I may also suggest - STAY OFF THE INTERNET! It can scare the **** out of you. Your doctor is your best resource.

Hope it helps. Regardless of the outcome don't ever give up.

hi,

am waiting to test at 8 weeks after pep,i dont want to test too often .Anyway whats is confussing me is that my sympotms came and go,yesterday i had a headache and joint pains,today my headache is gone ,joint pains gone but my muscles are twitching in the legs,i have tried to relax but i cant seem to get it.Today is 6 weeks since end of PEP i thought the symptoms last 1 - 2 weeks am in 6 weeks and still like this.Is there any logical explanation?Does ARS last this long?

hi 
it is 6 weeks now ,since my last dose of PEP . the joint pains are going away but i feel my legs are very weak,i still hve a headache,
am not feeling well generally.Question.Have u seen some one suffer from ARS for  6 weeks?Should i see a general doctor i may also be down with some other infection?up until now i have not taken any drugs.Please advise i still have 2 weeks to do my 8 weeks test ,i dont know if i can take it any more ,it is already too much for me ,it is the only thing i think abt.

SOMEONE PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD.

The title of this thread needs to be changed immediately.  I have been on PEP the last 30 days and have been searching google for "PEP Failed".  This thread is not about PEP failure, and it is ranked on page 1 of Google for that search phrase. 

All it is going to do is terrify millions of people who are looking up this search term.  This post just appeared on page 1 today and it is only 6 days old.  Prior to this, page 1 of Google had absolutely no posts on it about Pep failure.  This gave me a lot of peace of mind.

Please change the title of this thread to something more accurate. 

--------------------------------

Original poster - why did you write that it failed?  You dont know that it failed.  Im willing to bet it TOTALLY worked!  And your 5 minute headaches are not indicative of HIV.  If you get HIV symptoms, you will know it.  You will try to stop them and they wlll come anyways, and overpower the situation, and they will last.  There will be know uncertainty.

I am in the same boat as you.  Unprotected vaginal sex with an HIV + female.  I was put on a three drug regimen, but your regimen is perfectly effective too.  Most people are NOT put on 3 drug regimens with vaginal exposure.  Its just an added precaution.  All the studies done from years ago on PEP involved exactly your regimen - a 2 drug regimen - and they showed an 81% success rate for healthcare workers who had a direct blood contact with HIV blood.  That kind of exposure is 50 times more dangerous than ours was.

Stay cool and here's what you should do:  Until your entire torso breaks out in an obvious rash, covering your chest, arms, and neck up to your face - pretty much nothing else you're experiencing is HIV.  That's a good guideline to use in situations like this.  The Rash is the hallmark of infection.  And fortunately - rashes don't come and go like muscle aches and eye twitches. 

Same with Fever.  If you dont have Fever and Rash - you're good.  Stay cool, and ... im going to give you a tip for peace of mind.  Despite what everyone on the internet says - you can go get a PCR RNA test 28 days after your last pep medication, and have a 99% accurate result.  You do NOT NEED to wait 3 months or 6 months to get the antibody test.  You *SHOULD* still do them.  But you are entitled to 99% peace of mind at 28 days, and you can have it with a PCR test.  28 days after your last pill was popped. 

If that test is negative, then the chances of your antibody tests at 3 months and 6 months coming positive, are almost zero.

Save up your money.  The PCR Test can cost $200+ USD.

The title of this thread needs to be changed immediately. I have been on PEP the last 30 days and have been searching google for "PEP Failed". This thread is not about PEP failure, and it is ranked on page 1 of Google for that search phrase.

All it is going to do is terrify millions of people who are looking up this search term. This post just appeared on page 1 today and it is only 6 days old. Prior to this, page 1 of Google had absolutely no posts on it about personal reports of PEP Failure by real people.  Only discussion of the possibility from the medical literature. This gave me a lot of peace of mind.

"PEP FAILED 28 HOURS" needs to be changed.

--------------------------------

Original poster - why did you write that it failed? You dont know that it failed. Im willing to bet it TOTALLY worked! And your 5 minute headaches are not indicative of HIV. If you get HIV symptoms, you will know it. You will try to stop them and they wlll come anyways, and overpower the situation, and they will last. There will be know uncertainty.

I am in the same boat as you. Unprotected vaginal sex with an HIV + female. I was put on a three drug regimen, but your regimen is perfectly effective too. Most people are NOT put on 3 drug regimens with vaginal exposure. Its just an added precaution. All the studies done from years ago on PEP involved exactly your regimen - a 2 drug regimen - and they showed an 81% success rate for healthcare workers who had a direct blood contact with HIV blood. That kind of exposure is 50 times more dangerous than ours was.

Stay cool and here's what you should do: Until your entire torso breaks out in an obvious rash, covering your chest, arms, and neck up to your face - pretty much nothing else you're experiencing is HIV. That's a good guideline to use in situations like this. The Rash is the hallmark of infection. And fortunately - rashes don't come and go like muscle aches and eye twitches.

Same with Fever. If you dont have Fever and Rash - you're good. Stay cool, and ... im going to give you a tip for peace of mind. Despite what everyone on the internet says - you can go get a PCR RNA test 28 days after your last pep medication, and have a 99% accurate result. You do NOT NEED to wait 3 months or 6 months to get the antibody test. You *SHOULD* still do them. But you are entitled to 99% peace of mind at 28 days, and you can have it with a PCR test. 28 days after your last pill was popped.

Save up your money. The PCR Test can cost $200+ USD.

i know that symptoms are not a good indicator of infection.but the symptoms i have had well clearly show is is ARS ,lymph nodes dont swell over nothing,night sweats ,headache,joint pains the longer they appear the move suggestive they are that it is ARS.i just want to show people that PEP can fail and i just have one more,i will post my postive results and then you will see the relevance of the TITLE to the post it is not good to rely on false hope but rather on objectivity given the facts.Of course many people will not sero convert after PEP but they are those very few ,very few like me who do.Today i make week 7 post PEP.i have a headache ,joint pains have gone down,soreness in my left armpit.i have had symptoms for 7 weeks now.My intension was not to freak out any one but to share my experience with others and hopefully it helps others too.i have been looking for some one who has had ARS symptoms for 5 weeks + on the net and i have failed to find and yet it is very possible to even last for 6 months.

Mark - if you can edit your post, please change the title. There's a difference between a question and a statement. You have "stated" that your pep *did* fail ... in your title. That is not what this thread is about and its going to terrify thousands who Google the phrase and don't bother to read all the details.

MARK YOU NEED PHYCATRIC HELP NOT AIDS MEDS

you f*****g idiot1

Mark, I would like to ask what ended up happening to you. I know this was poster long time ago but I still hope you can read this. I've been out of PEP for 10 days now and I am still feeling an acute joint pain that I thought was going to go away after I finish my med but it has not and its been bothering me. I will really appreciate if you can tell me what happened. I am concern that this might be related to infection. Thanks!

I would like to know whar eventually happend to you... how did the tests go?

I also would like to know how everybody's PEP turned out.  I am almost 20 days on PEP