I've had loose and bleeding gums for months on end now. I have done everything I could think of - went to the dentist, who said everything was OK, just to brush more vigourously, bought a sonic toothbrush, all kinds of fancy herbal tooth pastes and after all that time I still have the same problem now. Can you help? Please tell me what to do to treat my loose gums!

Hello! What you can do to prevent gum disease is brush teeth regularly. This removes plaque and food debris on a daily basis. Many people brush their teeth but they neglect to floss. Flossing is important because it gets into those hard to reach places and removes sticky food particles that a tooth brush just can’t reach. Regular dental visits are important to stop any developing conditions that an untrained person cannot detect. In addition, any tartar build up from the hardening of plaque, can be removed and treated so that it does not advance to a more serious condition. Smoking is one of the leading factors in the formation of periodontitis, which could serve as motivation for quitting. Gum disease can be sneaky, sometimes causing little or no pain or irritation before permanent damage is done to your teeth. That is why regular dentist visits are a must. With X-rays and a thorough examination, a dentist or dental hygienist can spot trouble before you know it’s there. The earlier that gum disease is caught, the better. Adopting better brushing and flossing habits can usually reverse gingivitis. Sometimes your dentist will also prescribe antibiotics or a special antibacterial mouth rinse to tackle the problem. I hope this will help you.