I am having an impression that the gums at my front teeth are receding. My teeth look longer and are not so pleasant to look at anymore. Can you tell me what causes gums to recede and can this be fixed? Thx

It seemed that my receded gums were caused by brushing my teeth too vigorously, at least that it what my dentist told me. But usually, receding gums are caused by periodontal disease (gum disease). The disease starts when bacteria containing plaque builds up on the teeth and gums. If the plaque is not removed daily, it produces toxins that irritate and inflame the gums. Eventually the inflammatory process destroys the gum tissues, causing them to separate from the tooth and form spaces called pockets. The problem is characterized by red or swollen gums that bleed easily. If noticed in time this problem can be treated by your dentist or dental hygienist during regular check-ups. As the disease progresses (periodontitis), it can destroy the bone and soft tissues that support the teeth. In advanced stages of periodontitis, teeth can become loose, fall out or have to be removed by a dentist.