Good day everyone. I hope that someone of you can help me in dealing with my situation. I adopted a puppy from the shelter three days ago. But I don’t know a lot about them. I felt sorry for him when I saw him. That was a love at first sight. I was trying to find what the best food for him is. While I was reading some comments I found one that says that gluten free food is better for my dog than any other diet program. Since I don’t know a lot about it, can you tell me is this true and does it have any side – effects?

Hello. It is nice gesture. Easy, you have a lot of time to learn about this dog, what he likes, how you should treat him when he is not feeling ok and other issues. When it comes to diet program, I need to tell you that I consider that gluten free food is much better than gluten food. A lot of pet owners notice big improvement when they switch their dog to the grain free diet, especially in pet’s gastrointestinal health.  I am not familiar with any side – effects so far. I am sure that there are some, but not a lot of them.

Hello everyone.

Well, it is definitely better. I can’t say that this food is the best, but it is ok.

I don’t agree with you Dog Whisperer. There are some side effects of gluten free foods.

For example:

• Your dog’s weight can change despite you don’t want it to happen,
  • Some dog’s needs more fiber in their foods and I think that gluten free food can’t offer it to them.

Sure, there are just a little side – effects but they exists.

Before you switch your dog to gluten free diet program, you should consult your vet about it. If your dog doesn’t have kidney problems – go for it!

Hey everyone,

You can rarely see the side effects that Millie cat has mentioned, but it's true, it can happen. And she gave you a good piece of advice there, be sure to check the condition of your dog's kidneys before putting him on a gluten free diet.

I don't think that people give gluten free food to their pets just like that. They usually use it if their pet is too sensitive to gluten or he's allergic to it.

Anyway, if you happen to notice at any moment any side effects made by this type of food, you can just switch to regular food and that's it.

Hey guys,

Well, I don't know who told you that but I would always feed my dog with food that has gluten in it than with the one without it. My dog is allergic to gluten so he can only eat gluten free food but I'd prefer if he wasn't allergic. 

Gluten is an awesome source of proteins. And usually, a high quality proteins. Gluten free foods are mainly made for animals (or people) who are allergic to gluten or are just too sensitive to it, just like Mia said.

If your dog has no problems with this, just feed him the regular food. 

Hey Guest,

This is a thing that you'll have to decide on your own. I heard of no such thing as side-effects of gluten free food, but I know that the opinions are divided on this one.

Some people say that gluten food is bad, while others are saying that it's good. I don't think that there's anything wrong with gluten food, I think it's actually good because it is rich in proteins, but some other people think that it's not good for your dog's health and that you should feed your dog with gluten free food.

It's up to you to look around for more answers about this case and then decide what to do. :)

Hello everyone. I don’t know what to tell you since I am feeding my dog with gluten food for a couple of years now and he didn’t have any side – effects. He is not allergic to any ingredient, he is perfectly healthy dog and he didn’t gain the weight at all. I know that some people are a little bit skeptical when they want to give this food to their dogs, but that doesn’t have to be that way. My dog is healthy and I don’t feed him with gluten free food at all. The decision is only yours. Don’t let someone to tell you what is the best for your dog. I believe that you should know the best.

Hey there guys.

Look, I believe that gluten free food is definitely better than gluten food. But I agree with other comments – I think that you do know your dog the best and that you should know what is the best diet program for him, what you should avoid and some other facts. For example, I do know a lot of dogs who are allergic to gluten food, but as you can see, Guest has a dog and he is feeding him with gluten food. No problem for them.

I suggest you to do some analysis and together with your vet find what is the best food for your dog.

I think that before you give your cat gluten free food, you need to understand what gluten free means.

Generally I believe that the most important aspect of a pet food is that this food provides complete and totally balanced nutrition.

But this is definitely more natural food than any other. But I don’t see anything bad in gluten food. It can offer your cat a lot of proteins.

If you were feeding your dog with gluten free food or gluten food, you will know is this food good for them or not.

Side effects can occur in any diet program.

Hey everyone,

I wouldn't really say that the gluten free food is better. People are just giving it to their pets because they are scared of their pets being allergic to it without them even knowing that that is why this food is usually given to pets. They think that it does something wrong to their pets, which is not the case.

Gluten food is very rich with proteins and therefore it is recommended rather more often than gluten free food. Neither one of these foods have any side effects, unless your dog is allergic to gluten food, then he is going to show some side effects.

As a dog owner one should feed their dogs with food that has the proper amount of supplements and essential nutrients in it. As a new dog owner, one should never take the risk of feeding dogs with food suggested by anyone. They should consult a dog food supplier as they know what food is good for different breeds of dogs. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use