I'm 22, I started my period two days ago, today i had severe cramps all day. Its gross, but...i took out my tampon and a large piece of grey flesh fell out. its about 4 inches wide, give or take. The cramps stopped immediatly, but they are starting to come back a few hours later. So should I go to a doctor? i recently had my gall bladder removed and had sex about a week ago for the first time since, had a pregnancy test for the surgery, it was negative. i also switched to the nuva-ring as birth control about a month ago. is it a miscarriage, an infection, something to worry about??

Health Advisor
It sounds to me like you have passed a cervical polyp. Polyps are benign growths that arise from different linings, they have a stalk and are benign. Although they are growths, they are not cancerous. Besides colon and uterus, they may appear on cervix as well.

Sometimes, during sex, polyps may cause bleeding due to irritation. It is possible to lose it during sex, some women expel it during periods, and others have to have it removed.

However, passing large clot could occur after a miscarriage as well, so if I were you I would see a gyn just to make sure everything’s ok.

same thing happened to me. when it happened to me it same out as a white rubbery chunk the size of a tampon covered in blood, i was crippled over in pain when it happened and spent rest of my day with excruciating cramps. talked to doctor: it is your entire uterus lining expelling in one giant chunk and usually occurs due to stress. look up images of expelled uteral lining on google. it will make you feel better to see this happens to other women (oh and same situation, i thought it was miscarriage but knew it couldn't be due to no sex). Just breath.. and if you have more questions see a doctor.