Every time I walk, even if it's less than 1/4 of a mile, I get horrible shin splints. I've been exercising on a regular basis now, starting off with just power walking and then I'm going up to a light jog. But after 5 minutes of walking ANYWHERE, the pain comes. I don't know if it might be related to the fact that 3 years ago I was in a car accident, and by sitting in the back, my shins had hit that bottom part of the passengers seat. I still have bruising from it. But anyway, if I just keep up what I'm doing, with my exercise routine, should the pain go away and I won't get them?

Jacqueline :-(

were you getting the shin splints before you added the light jogging? if not, i'd back off to just walking again for at least 2 weeks before trying the jogging again.

also -- ice after every time you walk and they're sore. the best tip i got was to freeze water in a styrofoam coffee cup, then rub the ice surface on your shin, peeling down the styro as you go. 5 minutes at a time (you don't want to frostbite your skin), 2-3 times a day.

Also, a consult with an orthopedic doc that specializes in sports injuries can be *very* helpful.

I was getting them before I started jogging. I walk really fast, anywhere I go, I've walked this way for as long as I can remember, I guess you could call it power walking?