So, I'm getting pains in my shins like shin splints?

I haven't greatly increased my mileage any (around 35 MPW now) and I haven't gained a lot of weight (I'm down about 5 lbs).

what's up with that?

Surface change? ..out of the winter treadmill routine, back on the roads/sidewalks more?

Pace change? ..faster running in warmer weather? ..racing?

Increase in training overall? ..more cycling, lifting? ..more recovery needed but not happening, shins are the 'weak link in the chain'?

Warmer weather could do it. Watch hydration and electrolyte levels.

I've been spending more time on the roads in the last month, but the shin splints just started last week or so.

I'm still at about the same pace, maybe a little slower. Not much racing either.

The only increase in training I have it lifting and even then, I've only got 1 leg day on the schedule per week.

have you noticed if you calves are tighter than normal?

Just run through them... my bet is that you're dehydrated.

Potassium and hydration are my guesses.

My shins hurt when my shoes are old. Once I purchase new shoes, then it's fine.

knock on wood, i've never suffered from shin splints. Even while playing soccer.

/i shouldn't have said that :umno:

PH only 1 leg day per week? :? I had problems with shin pain off n on for 2 years. I have run pain free since November now. I attribute that to my weight routine for legs. I do legs 3 time a week. Squats, lunges, deadlifts n most importantly calf raises. I swear this is the key. I'd love to know more about your weight routine.

Check your shoes. All other things remaining the same, I hear more runners mentioning new shoes seem to be most effective in your situation.

The first thing I check on clients complaining of lower limb issues is their shoes - shoes overdue for replacement account for about 80% of the problems I see.

If not the shoes, then have a think about whats changed since just before the onset of the shin pain. Usually its mileage or terrain, or type of exercise eg walking is alot harder on the outside shins than running. Is the pain on the outside of the shin or the inside? If it is the inside, it is often a calf muscle issue rather than a shin muscle issue.

Treatment for shin pain usually involves a) addressing the underlying cause eg shoes b) deep tissue massage to the shins and calves followed by icing (you can do this yourself) c) toe taps d) calf exercises.

Shin pain is usually easily resolved if addressed early, but if it becomes chronic then it can put you out of action for some time.