I always thought that only newbies got shin splints because their shins weren't used to the pounding but after awhile, their legs got accustomed to it and it wasn't an issue any more.

So I posted about shin 'cramps' (treadmill) last week and now today (outside) I had to stop after 2 miles because of the pain in my shins.

What's up with that? The only thing that I can think of that has changed is that my weight has gone up a little bit (5-10 lbs) in the last couple of weeks.

I too have the same problem on my lower left leg-soreness round the shins especially if I put weight on the left side. Is the pain generalized or localized (meaning it can be pinpointed to a specific part of the leg)? If it's the latter chances are that you might have gotten a stress fracture. (Sorry, don't mean to scare you but that's what I got back in March of this year) No I don't think newbies are the only ones who get shin splints-basically anyone who has just came back right into full training after a layoff or suddenly increased the training load dramatically may be good candidates for shin splints

maybe its got something to do with going back and forth from the treadmill to the road/trail??

take 3 days off and try again.

The only other thing I'd suggest is check your shoes. If it's been a while since you've changed them, that may be the culprit. I used to get shin splints a lot, but haven't had a problem since I got the shoes I'm in now.

Are you using a new type of shoe or are the mileage on your current ones up there?

:1:
Suffering myself from a case of the ole shin splint on my left leg..I get it when I really kick up my training, been focusing on running much harder and faster so of course the old body reacts!!
I still run through it, make sure I stretch, ice it after the run, and pop plenty of advil. Oh the healthy lifestyle of the runner.

The shoes are pretty new. Probably less than 150 mi. on them.

The only difference in my training (other than a slight weight gain) is that I have been going a little bit faster now that the temps have droppped.

Wednesday was a hard run and the shin problems were on Thursday, so maybe that's where the problem is coming from.

If your shins are not too bad, have you tried the old toe tap workout or the writing the alphabet with your toes? I sometimes get minor pain in my right shin and a few days of these exercises seem to help.

Good luck and listen to Runaroundsue!

There are many things that can cause shin splints: shoes, form, running surface, how often you run, weight, etc.. So if you start feeling like you're getting shin splints, then try and change things up. And amke sure to ice and ice often..

Hope this helps..