Hey guys, so here's the long and the short of it. I had to stop running around a year ago because of chronic pain that I had chalked up to be shin splints. However, after a year of no impact the same amount of pain occurs behind the shin. In fact, recently I took a fall rock climbing and broke my femur so I pretty much did nothing at all for my legs for two to three weeks during recovery and yet as I am finally able to walk, the familiar pain has returned... I was under the impression that shin splints heal with a lack of impact so I'm unsure as to what I have. Can anyone diagnose this?

i would suggest running shorter routes and run them slower and build back up. also after a run roll out your shins and ice them. i would suggest a ice bath because they're more effective but you can also just use a bag of ice

Ice and stretching... the answer to everything! However most people don't know an effective way to stretch the shins. The best way is to balance on your heels, and lift your toes as high as possible. You want your toes to almost touch your shins. You should feel the tension through your shins. A good exercise is to walk around on your heels while lifting your toes as high as you can... it gets rid of shin splints, and improves balance. Otherwise, shin splints are usually an injury of beginner runners, who may be going harder than they should. Just as 'brommer' said, shorten the run, and go slow. You need a base before you can get speed. Do those toe lift stretches whenever you're standing around and go slow and your legs should get better.

I would definitely ice and roll down your shins after runs.
Also, get in some good stretches, the front of your shin may be over compensating for something else that is slightly out of funk.