hi

i'm 16 and got huge pores on my nose and some on my cheecks as well. they werent this big before but now they seem to be opened up and nothing ive tried closed them down. i need natural ways to get rid of them, something i can use that isn't too expensive and perhaps stuff thats already in the kitchen or something. one of my mates said to use toothpaste because pores are caused by oil and the toothpaste would dry the skin out but that didn't work.

help - please :)!!! 

Large pores suck. I have the same problem.

I use this facewash by biore it's sooo great because it has charcoal in it which helps with minimizing pores and acne. Their masks work just as great too! You can also try using pore strips and if they're too pricey where you are you can make your own! good luck!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks, how long have you been using it? I'm pretty sure links aren't allowed here by the way.

Hi Nisha,

First off, the size of your pores genetically determined. That means you can't shrink them, really. What you can do is make them LOOK smaller. Using a primer plays a huge role in making your pores look smaller. So, first you'd moisturize, let the cream sink in all the way, then apply a primer. Primers don't have to be expensive. So the primer will fill the pores up if you like, and then if you apply foundation afterwards, you won't see them (as much). Of course you're not looking to make the appearance of pores totally go away, 'cause your skin is skin and not a canvas. Since you're 16, you probably don't want to try to look younger :) or like a porcelain doll. So a nice BB cream may be quite enough for you after you've applied your primer.

Celebrity

OK, pores. Let's give this a go.

Though large pores can be caused by genetics, that's not always the case. In fact, because you're 16, it's likely that excessive oil production, which is familiar to almost anyone who has ever gone through puberty, is to blame in your case. With normal oil production, the natural oils just spread over the skin, making it look healthy. If you have very oily skin, the pores can get clogged with dead skin cells and other nasties. The skin will look unhealthy and your pores will appear to be large. The solution here is a good skin care routine designed for people with excessively oily skin. Cleanse, scrub, and exfoliate regularly.

Using lots of makeup can make your problem worse, especially if you don't cleanse properly, so I wouldn't try to solve your problem that way, though I can see why that's tempting.

Hi!

I read all the advice that was given to you above. There was some interesting info there but you said you were looking for a natural remedy and something that might already be in your kitchen. I suffer from large pores on my nose as well, and what I do is I use lemon juice on my nose. I've been told that lemon juice has enzymes that can tighter your skin, reducing the size of your pores. Acid also cleans impurities on your skin. That means you've got a cleanser and a pore tightener at once, and the best thing is that it is inexpensive. I use lemon juice on my nose three times a week.

What's more, if I have oily skin, I scrub my face with a cheap moisturizer mixed with a little bit of table salt. This makes your skin feel fresh and new.

Let me know how it works out for you!

I was reading your post and I do understand the pore problem. What you'll want to do is develop a regular (but not overly complicated) skin care regimen. Here are some things you can do to make your pores look smaller, as well as developing skin that generally healthier and more cared for.

1. Wash your face with a gentle soap. You should do this when you get up and just before you go to bed.

2. Put green tea extract on your facial skin in order to tone it. You can do this daily as well.

3. Exfoliating your skin is also an important part of your facial care regimen. I imagine your skin is pretty oily, otherwise you wouldn't have large nose pores. In order to remove the excess sebum from your face, you need to exfoliate it. You can use a really mild scrub that is not too invasive. You can also make your own, with baking soda, a mild facial cleanser, and some water. Some people say baking soda helps combat acne as well.

4. Finally, you could also try steaming your face from time to time. In order to do this, you need a large bowl, a towel, hot (but not quite boiling) water, and a few drops of a nice essential oil such as lavender.

And that's it. I'm not guaranteeing that your facial skin will look exactly the way you would like it to if you follow these steps, but it should absolutely look a lot healthier, including reduced pores on your nose.

wow, so many tips! i havent been back here in a few days and kind of forgot that i posted here, then remembered, and theres lots of stuff to try out. thanks so much. i think ill start by using the lemon juice cause weve always got lemons around the house for lemonade and cooking and stuff and itll be something i dont have to spend any money on. alright then ill also try taking a bit better care of my skin cleaning it and stuff. i don't use much makeup cause it just looks bad with the pores but yeah, maybe nows the time to get some if i can get the pores to go away.

Open pores do make you more vulnerable to blackheads, acne and general disaster, so you have good reason to want to do something about them. It's not just about looks.

Here are some suggestions for you.

1. You can put apple cider vinegar diluted in water on a bit of cotton wool, and dab your face with it, leaving it on for about three seconds in every location of your face. This is completely natural. You do have to rinse it off afterwards.
2. You can whisk up egg whites, which are good for your complexion and also makes your skin tighter so if you have any wrinkles it will reduce their appearance. The procedure is the same as before.
3. Mix sugar with olive oil and some lemon juice and use it as a scrub. This will shrink your pores. Again, wash it off after you are done.
4. Ice. Good old cold temperatures make things tighter for your face. Feels soothing too.
5. Cucumber. Just rub it in and leave it all night long before washing your face off in the morning.

That would be pretty much it in terms of natural remedies for large pores that I know about.

Oh, those are some pretty good tips there. I like the thought of looking better with natural (and cheap :)) things and certainly got plenty of eggs and cucumbers lying around, you know? Mind you, with the vinegar I was wondering what it is about apple cider vinegar that makes everyone go crazy. It's supposed to be good for all kinds of things these days, including dieting I think? If you have any idea what is in there that is supposed to perform miracles, I'd be very interested in finding out!

Recently read up about something called ablative CO2 laser. It's something meant for people with scars and rosacea, that kind of thing. Reviews and docs say that ablative CO2 laser also makes your pores look rather smaller though. Some folks literally say all their skin imperfections totally went away after ablative CO2 laser treatment. If you're looking for teeny pores that's something to read up about. (BTW, also interested in talking to those whove had this treatment done and have either good or bad results. Considering it for myself in the future.)

Well, about the makeup... there's a few things you can do. Clinique Pore Minimizer is something you could try, then use foundation. I've also heard that it's a good idea to try toner before that, but not everyone agrees that toners makes any difference to your pores at all, so I'm not sure about that and I don't use it myself. There's also ladies who've had luck with vit C serum every night, they say it really goes a long way towards getting rid of large open pores.

So many good tips here! Room for one more?

I have had luck with Neutrogena's pore minimizing line myself. I use the daily cleanser, the toner, and the exfoliating cleanser. It penetrates deep into the skin where it gets rid of the stuff in your pores you don't want there. When that is gone, it smooths and tightens those pores. I am a fan and I recommend you get all three products for the best results.