When things are going wrong in your life, i.e. family/work/friends/whatever, do you train harder or do the extra stress take it out of you and you find yourself unable to train as hard?

Depends on the problem, but usually I get more intense with my training when I'm stressed.

When a demon pops up on my shoulder I run faster, farther and more furiously to leave him behind.

It depends. Most stress gets me motivated and makes me work harder to run better races and run faster times. These would be things like anus bosses, annoying cow-orkers, relatives, the New Orleans Saints, etc. Some stress depresses me and causes me to run a lot less with much slower times and I just don't seem to care. This is caused by things like people dying. My new formulas explain the complex process involved: Mad stress = I get faster Sad stress = I get slower

Mad stress = I get faster Sad stress = I get slower
This is me. Add to that what is probably obvious, sick stress = a brick wall

Being angry, disgusted, frustrated, etc always sped me up. I often joked with the Mrs. that I was going to pick a fight with her prior to racing, just so I would run faster.....she didn't like that idea

not really either way. I just use the time to clear my head. If I ran hard from all my stress I would be legless.

Well considering I've pr'd and run my 3rd best time in the 5k, pr'd in the 5 mile, would've pr'd in the 4 mile if my shoe hadn't come untied and am still hoping to pr in a 10k before the year is out I'd say stress has made me faster. And that may be a pr as far as sentence length goes.

I definitely work harder and with a lot more determination. I turn the music up and run until whatever I am feeling has subsided (mad, depressed, nervous, happy, sad).

It can speed up training; but, tends to kill a race since it pushes the stress threshold past the limit.

This is me. Add to that what is probably obvious, sick stress = a brick wall :1: Ditto for me.

:1: Ditto for me.
Excellent way to say it.
:1:

Excellent way to say it.
:1:
:1:

me too
I've heard divorce helps improve running. We determined this once on a long run and fellow runners that we know. We also determined that this would not work for me. And it appeared with all our running acquaintances--it appeared to be only true for men :shrug:

:1:
:wavey: me too!