For those of you who work out first thing in the am and are not morning people...how do you motivate yourself to get up and do it? Now that school is starting I really need to start working out in the morning. I would have to be up and out to the gym by 5am.

Any advice?

Getting my a$$ kicked in a race usually does the trick.

Either falling short of a time goal or losing to people that should not finish ahead of me.

Don't think about it. Really. I'm no morning person and depending on my day, I'll workout in the morning or at noon. If it's morning, I'll have everything ready the night before so I can lock-step thoughtlessly until I find myself running. Seems to work for me.

1) If it's between having my job and not...you just do it??? I know what you are talking about and can relate. I'm not a morning person at all and my 4:30am alarm is never welcome. I've been this way my entire life. However, when your job is a top priority and being late is not an option...you just do it. [rant] I'm going on my soapbox here. I am the furthest one out from my school where I work. I live about 20 miles away, but the commute is more like 45 minutes or more at times. I have to be at work by 7:30am, which means I need to be on the road by 6:30am with the kids. So, I'm up at 4:30/4:45am Ready and have my children up at 6am Out the door by 6:30am (I try) Drop the kids off by 6:40am Then finishing my commute. What steams me is the young girl who teaches 6th grade across the hallway who always...ALWAYS...strolls in to work at 8:05am!!! :flames: We are supposed to go out to the playground at 8:05 to get the kids and our report time was at 7:30am :flames: :flames: :flames: Now, I've kept my tongue, but deep down this burns me up. If I can get my butt out of bed, my children ready and dropped off and report ON TIME, why can't she???? She's single and has no children. There's no excuse! I know she's been written up on doing this for years, yet nothing can really happen to her??? I am rarely late and cannot understand this??? :flames: This hits a sore spot with me. I'm tired too. I'm usually walking in the door frazzled, but ON TIME! [/rant] 2) Loads of caffeine 3) Have an alarm clock across the room. Sorry for the ranting when answering this. You usually do what you have to do to get going.

Some advice from a non-morning person....

Have all of your work clothes ready to go the night before. I usually put all of them and my shower stuff in my car before I go to bed.

Have all of your workout clothes ready, too. At first I slept in my workout clothes and when the alarm went off, I just put on my shoes (which were right by the bed). Then I either ran out and started running or drove to where my workout was going to be. The goal is to get up and get out of the house as quickly as possible.

As time goes on, you tend to appreciate getting your training out of the way and realize that there are less distractions to keep you from achieving your workout goals for the day. Then you can just put your workout clothes near your bed.

I don't think there are any secrets. I think it's just bullying yourself into getting up and doing it. Sure you can do little things like setting your clothes out ahead of time, but it really comes down to you forcing yourself to get up and do it. Think of it as a test in willpower. Prove to yourself that you have the will to do anything.

good advice. it gets easier when it's not in the single digits outside too...
watching the sun rise is very motivating.

Rather than waking up gradually, I make myself jump out of bed.

I also lay my clothes out the night before so I don't have to find them in the morning. Also, I find that the longer I drag out the process of dressing and actually leaving the house, the more likely I am to stay in and not get out at all. So, I try to dress quickly before I have a chance to think about going back to bed!

~Astara~

That is what I do, although it helps that I am a morning person

get boots on the ground, period.

I'm a morning person anyways so it wasn't that difficult for me....
Alarm: 4:35
4:40 - start coffee
4:50 - clothes that are usually out the night before go into gym bag
4:55 - start slobbering coffee all over myself, actually get some it down my throat
5:00 - 5:15 - get dressed, brush teeth, restroom break and out the door
5:28-5:30 I'm pulling into the parking lot at gym

This is my main motivation. I can't be as good as I want to be if I'm lazy.

I think that if I get up a bit earlier, jump in the shower and/or drink some coffee...then I could motivate to the gym. I guess that I also need to change my perspective. I can always make it in to work early....because I have to. So if I HAVE to get up in the am to work out...I will.
Thanks everyone :wavey:

I'm a morning person but can roll over and go back to bed very easily. (Like I did this morning. Too cold to even go to the Y to run on the dreadmill.) For me it's what I am training for that gets me out of bed. Knowing I have to do my workout and do it in the am. I know if I wait until the evening I won't do it. So I just do it. And my hubby ususally is up with me as well. Also, find someone to meet. Knowing someone is waiting for you will motivate you.

Don't forget to try and get to bed a little earlier also. I'm much better at getting a morning workout in if I've still gotten my 7-8 hours of sleep. It's really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hard for me to get to bed at 9-30-10pm. So much good stuff on History Channel.