I am 4 months pregnant and I had my blood work done about a week ago. A few days after my blood work, my doctor called me to tell me it came back negative but positive for Neural tube disorder-meaning my afp levels were slightly elevated (norm is 2.5 MoM mine is 3.3). He sent me to go get a level II sonogram as well as speak to a genetic counselor. The genetic counselor told me everything that I had done research on and said in 90% of the cases where the results return positive the babies are born healthy. Most research has shown this as well and that the screenings are just that-they do no inform you whether or not your baby has something only that it may be at risk. I also had the ultrasound done and even though the baby was being a bit uncooperative the tech did get to see the top and back of the head and all the way down the spine-she was missing the end of the spine. She said the heart looked good as well and so did bloodflow. The doctor said although the ultrasound was limited everything looked normal and to come back in two weeks. Its been two days since and my family and fiance have calmed down significantly because the doctor is not too concerned, but I can help but be concerned. I wanted to know if my afp levels were very high or just slightly high? Also is it possible that I produce some afp? What is the accuracy of the screening test. What other reasons could it be if the gestational age of the baby is correct and if i am not carrying more then one baby. Also wouild second hand smoke alter the test? I am probably being overly anxious but it is my first baby. I would also like to add that I am 27, am 5'5 and weighed 135 prior to being pregnant. I was never obese and never had any type of diabetes. I mention this because I have read in some articles that these factors may affect the afp. Please respond-I guess i need reassurance of some sort. Thanks

I want to pop in here and just reassure you. At this point, I think that you are feeling very anxious and there isn't much that can be done to reassure you since the tests already came back pretty well. You are probably feeling anxiety about the pregnancy and about giving birth in general, so that is why you feel doubt. I hope that this is helpful. If not, let me know and we can talk about it.