I would like if someone could tell me more about Raynaud’s syndrome. My friend has this condition and I fell helpless by not knowing anything. What is this condition all about and how does it happen?

Raynaud's syndrome is also called Raynaud's phenomenon or Raynaud's disease. This is a condition in which the smallest arteries that bring blood to the fingers or toes constrict when exposed to cold. They can also go into spasm from an emotional upset. The small veins are usually open, so the blood drains out of the capillaries. The result in Raynaud’s syndrome is that the fingers or toes become pale, cold and numb. Working with vibrating machinery or even smoking cigarettes can also cause these episodes. If there's a spasm in the small veins and blood is trapped in the capillaries, the fingers or toes turn blue. This happens because the blood loses its oxygen. People who have experienced what appears to be Raynaud's syndrome are encouraged to see their doctors to confirm the diagnosis and to get proper treatment, if necessary. In most cases, people only need to make minor lifestyle changes. However, in some cases, vasodilators can be prescribed to keep the blood vessels from constricting. Vasodilators are medications that relax and widen blood vessels.