My best friend was diagnosed with Raynad’s syndrome few weeks ago. I have to say that this surprised me a lot. I want to help him so I would appreciate information about this condition. Thank you

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I will try to give you information that you are interested in. Raynaud's syndrome is also called Raynaud's phenomenon or Raynaud's disease. It is a condition in which the smallest arteries that bring blood to the fingers or toes constrict when exposed to cold and they can also go into spasm from an emotional upset. The small veins are usually open, so the blood drains out of the capillaries and the result in Raynaud’s syndrome is that the fingers or toes become pale, cold and numb. There are some things that can cause these episodes, like working with vibrating machinery or even smoking cigarettes. The fingers or toes turn blue if there's a spasm in the small veins and blood is trapped in the capillaries and this happens because the blood loses its oxygen. In most cases of Raynaud’s syndrome people only need to make minor lifestyle changes but in some cases, vasodilators can be prescribed to keep the blood vessels from constricting. Vasodilators are medications that relax and widen blood vessels. I hope that this information will help you.