My best friend is a day from her due date. For the past month she has been having a problem going pee. She will usually have to sit 20 minutes on the toilet before she can go, even if she has to pee really bad. This just doesn't seem right, I have had two children (and #3 on the way, yeah!!!) and I never experienced this, or heard of anyone else having this problem and I read a lot of info on pregnancy and birth. I know everyones experience is different, I just wanted to know if something wasn't right. She has never complained of painful urination, but I have never ask either! Any help or comments are greatfully appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Leslie

She should be checked for a urinary tract infection, or it could just be an issue of the muscles in the region. I would certainly have her see the doctor however, because if she has to hold urine longer than needed it can cause complications.

Yes, that sounds strange. While it is normal for women in their third trimester of pregnancy to begin needing the toilet more often again like in the first trimester, this time because the uterus compresses the bladder rather than due to hormones, sitting on the toilet for 20 minutes is not normal. A urinary tract infection was my first thought as well, and I think I even read that that can be dangerous to the baby, somewhere. I think that your friend should be tested for a UTI by her doctor ASAP. Not all UTIs cause a burning sensation. They have pretty varied symptoms. In elderly people, for instance, the only symptom may be confusion.