Hello! I am 47 years old woman and for the last 4 months I have experienced prolonged menstrual bleeding, with occasional cramping. Now, I presume I am already in the perimenopausal period and this prolonged and excessive bleeding may be a result of hormone change or something like that. Is there anything I could do in order to ease this bleeding? Thanx!!!!

Hi there! It is true that your prolonged and excessive bleeding is a result of an abnormal physiologic hormonal response to a skipping of ovulation, but it is also possible that there is an anatomical cause of bleeding such as a fibroid, a polyp, an overgrowth of the uterine lining (hyperplasia) or even a cancer of the endometrium or uterus. So, to be on the safe side, you should go and have your abnormal bleeding checked, and once you figured out the reason, possible treatment will be easier to find.

I am about to become 50 and last month I had a period that started on May 22 and yesterday was my first day that I didn't see any bloody discharge and it was all due to my herbalist that I went too. He is the best and I took 60 drops of a certain ticture that had about 6 or 7 different herbs in it to help my my uterus and hormones. My doctor wanted to do a hysterectomy and I told her where to go. I am fine I know that I am almost at my end of having periods and If I listen to regular doctors they make me feel like I have a disease. I am going through a change that is all and it is normal unless you are heavily bleeding and are very tired then I would go to a herbalist in your area that will mix a tincture and/or a tea for you to drink it is that simple

Hello.
I am a 36 going on 37 & I have been told that I have fibolids. I have been placed on Birth Control pills however I still have perios for up to 14 days. To date today is 11/20/2007 & I have been on my cycle for 7 days. There is no sigh of it easing up. It is still bright red. My periods are heavy for the first 4 days then it slows to a bright red medium to light flow. I have been told that if I drink a capful of White Vinagar it will stop the flow. Is this true? I'm at the point I will do anything to get rid of these prolonged periods. I wanted a hysterectomy 4 years ago but my :'( OB/Gyn told me not too because if I met a man & he wanted children I would not be able to give him children. Any suggestions on how to help this frustrated 36 year old?

I have been a week bleeding and all my life my periods were only 3 or 4 days. I am 44 and about a month ago I went for my checkup and paps. I haven't heard anything so I thought ll is well and now this. I guess I 'll call the doctor Monday because this is really abnormAL for me. Thanks for all your help!

osmer wrote:

Hi osmer, I haven't read the posts below yet, but I have gone through the excessive bleeding you are talking about. My doctor did all the tests to rule out fibroids, polyps, cancer (biopsy of uterus), and all way normal. There are new methods on the market done by a physician, some were done in the office, but there are beginning to do more in an OP setting at a hospital, where they laser the inside of your uterus to prevent the excessive bleeding. Complications are rare and many people I have known have had it done and wish they have done it sooner.

The one question you must ask yourself is whether or not you are DONE having a family. I am currently trying to determine if this is the avenue for me. Some people may have additional problems that may point to hysterectomy. Heavy bleeding by itself is usually not a reason if all your tests come back OK.

FlaMom1 wrote:

osmer wrote:

I'm. In the peri/ Menopause and I've missed 2 periods,,

To all of you who have experienced serious bleeding...my story began when my gyno. Of several years refused to refill my rx for the birth control ahead been using for a few years. Had noproblems. No health issues, non smoker. At the time I was turning 50 and the dr. Said to me. "my dear..you don't need birth control anymore". Well, I was not too happy. She did notsuggest bloodwork to confirm where in menopause I may be. I thenwent to my pcp who ran hormonal labs. To mydismay,,,I was still ovulating. An fish of 24 and estrogen still high. Pcp faxed labs to obgyn and she reluctantly filled 6 month rx for me. All gooduntil 6 months later when she again declined filling my rx.    I changed to a new obgyn group and the two Dr. Women also refused to supply me with hormonal treatment. I had started spotting irregularly, and theytold me I was in perimenopause, but still ovulating and could possibly get pregnant, so use condoms! With my husband! Wow! Great! I was not happy with this choice. Their reason for me was they do not believe in hormone therapy and that aging process is normal! Yikes!  I was thentalked into an IUD. I had procedure done in Feb. Of 2012' and didn't stopbleeding  through June! Miserable! IUD was removed in June. For 3 months I bled, spotted, bled, nonstop. I was tired, drained, and very upset with these Drs.   Last month, Sept 2012' Iwears referred by a friend to her obgyn group. I went and told the whole story. The Dr. Could not believe I had been treated so ignorantly. He put me on Lo Loestrin. I stopped bleeding in 4 days! Felt so much better! I also had a hysteroscopy to be sure bleeding was not a problem in utero. Test went well, and no problems internally. Yay!  All hormone fluctuations form suddenlystopping oral hormones. Wow! I finally have a knowledgeable Dr. Who gets me! Also, I have heredensity osteopeniahour monorail contraceptives help stop osteoporosis In women. I amhappy to name Dr. Hugo Kitzes a wonderful Dr. And the whole group is FAB!  Thoroughly recommend them in NJ. BRENDA....A HAPPY WOMAN!

you have nothing compared to me .ive had a period 12 months ive been to the emergency room had complete blood work ups mris cat scans and xrays and they tell me im as healthy as a horse but im going thru the change ,But im 59yrs old my grand mother and my mom went thru the change same age as me an my grand mother had the same exact problem as im having now back when she was 59 yrs old .Unlike many of you I am allergic to meds so they as of rite now wont give me any thing I gather in fear im going to be allergic .I pity any one who had a period as long as ive had it..And I guess it will vanish on its own like it came on its own .I was told to drink silk milk .I did too much that stuff tastes great .I stopped it but fixing to go back and try it again the e.r.doctor told me to drink at least 8 oz a day soy beans are a natural hormone and it should help .I hope your problem ends soon as mine seems to be here for a while and it makes me nervous at times and ive never been a nervous person before at all .I own a hunting dog kennel and a mini farm and staying occupied helps keep ones mind off of having this Trojan horse all the time really .

What did they give you?