HAS ANYONE GONE THROUGH THIS BEFORE? I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.
I had a bilighted ovum which means my baby stopped growing inside me at 12 weeks. I was prescribed medication to induce labor so I could go through the miscarriage naturally. I passed the miscarriage on November 20, 2010 and was going back and forth to the doctor for ultrasound and blood tests and confirmed all normal. Today January 31st, towards my end of my 1st period after my misscarriage I was working and felt a huge gush in my chair, pooring down my legs and in less than a minute I had a LARGE puddle of blood underneath my chair. I was phasing in and out and was taken en abulance to the hospital still gushing along the way, lost at least half a gallon of blood, body soaked in blood, smell of blood filled the ambulance and the ER room. I needed blood transfusion but am home now. HAS ANYONE GONE THROUGH THIS BEFORE? I don't even think this was related to my misscarriage but the doctor says my HCG level was at 20 and should be zero. This is crazy because I know for a fact that I'm not pregnant again. I'm so scared I'd go through this again.

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about story. I'm not a doctor but I found that a high hCG level can indicate: miscalculation of pregnancy dating, molar pregnancy, multiple pregnancy. A molar pregnancy means that there is still fetal or placental tissue in the uterus. An ultrasound can be used to check for signs of material which should not be present in the uterus, and a gynecologist can also perform a colposcopy. Most women can expect their levels to return to a non-pregnant range about 4 - 6 weeks after a pregnancy loss has occurred. This can differentiate by how the loss occurred and how high the levels were at the time of the loss. Hormones will eventually stabilize, and the bleeding will resolve on its own. I hope you'll get better soon. Take care.

Thank you! I did go to the Dr. today. My doctor kept telling me that it was very unusual for me to have so much bleeding which was not what I wanted to hear. She also said that i could be bleeding from the lining of my uterus and she also mentioned some of the things you mentioned above however she repeated that it was still very unusual as if she wasn't sure but not going to look further until I have another one of the same episode. She did recommend I get back on birth control pills for a few months to stabilize my hormone to hopefully avoid this from happening again. I'm going back to work tomorrow and feel so wierd because I can't get that nightmarish scene (like from a crazy bloody movie) from my head and the looks on my colleagues faces. Oh well....I told my husband I'm going to bring a thick dark colored towel and fold to sit on. Thank you again!

Oh, I can only imagine how it feels... Yes, oral contraceptive pills may be prescribed to replace estrogen, which helps to regulate the menstrual cycle. I sincerely hope that this wont happen again. Take care.

I am so happy not to feel alone in this! This same thing happened to me when I was away from home and we rushed to the hospital.  They were trying to tell me I was pregnant again and then miscarried again.  I had blighted ovum as well and that was March 15th when I took the medicine.  Now it is june and I had already had a period and all the sudden I was bleeding worse than I was after I took the pill at first.  They still have no idea what happened, and couldn't really give me any conclusion on the subject.  Did the bleeding stop completely after that and levels of HcG go down? 

Wow Sue, no one responded with a similar incident except you. I started to believe that there was something terribly wrong with me. I was very concern with going anywhere after that incident because I didn't know if it was going to happen again and since my doctor couldn't say that it will not happen again, she suggedsted I get back on birth controll pills. She stated to me that i could have developed a fibroid tumor on the lining of my uterus which just keeps collecting blood until it burst resulting the incident from 1/31 and if that was indeed the case, it will happen again. It seems to make sense with the fibroid tumor diagnose because how else can someone bleed like that. Birth controll pills can help our body hormone go back to normal including our uterus --- it will help our uterus to heal, is what my doctor told me. I started taking birth controll pills a week later --- be patient, it took me until mid March to competely stop bleeding; I was passing all kinds of tissues from begin of FEbruary all the way to Mid March. It turned out that my doctor was right-- I did have a fibroid tumor. A week before I was completely done with bleeding in March, I passed a large tisse--looked like a piece of chicken liver --4 inch long and about 1 inch wide, half an inch thick-- looked like a large mass of tisue all rolled up. It was a scary look -- I wasn't hurting while I was passing all of the tisue including the last large one but a bit of cramps. After I passed the large tissue, my bleeding got a little bit heavier and then a week later I was done bleeding. That was the last time I had seen blood. My doctor gave me 4 months worth of birth control pills and asked that I don't take the last week of fake pill to give my uterus a few months to heal. I've done just that and have been feeling fine ever since. Next month will be the 1st time I will have my monthly cycle since the bleeding ended in March.

My had my HCG level checked every week to make sure it was going down. Since i passed the large clot, my hcg went down to normal.

I'm really glad you wrote me but I am certainly not happy that anyone had to go through it too.

My suggestion to you is get on birth control pills and let your uterus heal. You may want to set an alarm to remind you to take your pills everyday -- because you don't want to forget to take a pill and then bleed again while in the process of trying to allow your uterus to heal.

I wish I had someone who could have told me exactly just what I told you, basically what to expect after an incident that you and I had. My doctor couldn't tell me because she was not 100% sure what was going on with me.

You take care Sue and I'm very sorry for your loss.

May

I had a molar pregnancy and D&C in march ... in June, I unfortunately had an abortion. 2 months later - (which is now) - my period started. Wednesday, August 24th to be exact. Everything was normal that day, as well as all of Thursday... around 115am Friday morning I was sittin on my bed with my laptop and felt a HUGE gush. I knew something was wrong so I went to the bathroom and I too, had to NON-STOP, FAUCET like bleeding and I was passing HUGE clots. I put a towel between my legs and back to my computer and typed "heavy bleeding 2 months after abortion" and this popped up. Everything was sounding eerily familiar, so I immediately woke my father up and told him I needed to go to the ER -- NOW!!! I was bleeding non stop  ~ and by the time we reached the hospital and I was wheeled in -- i pretty much blacked out and woke up when they were transferring me to the bed.

A nurse came in to check me, and said my uterus was WIDE open.. so she packed it full of stuff to "stop" the bleeding.. few minutes later, blood was seeping through .. they tried giving me estrogen injections but it didnt work. then, i told them i needed to pee really badly (they pretty much thought i was jus having a heavy period), but they told me not to get up and they will being a bed pan. she slipped it under me, and i peed and felt HUGE clots filling the pan. When the nurse remove the pan from under me she was in total shock and ran out the room to notify someone.

A few minutes later I was being wheeled in to the Operation Room, where they performed a D&C. I lost over 1.5 liters of blood and had to have 2 units of blood transferred back into me...

I was released from the hospital this morning and have to take PROVERA for 21 days, then be put on Birth Control. Also, I have to take Iron Pills daily now....... I am so scared to have another episode.. i am going to my OB in one week to have my levels checked & stay monitored. My OB also, did not have an exact reason on why i bled SO MUCH. i am just so scared this will happen again..............................

Hello Kayjay,

You are not alone. I will not bore you with my story because it is VERY similar to yours but mine happend at work. My boss thought that she was going to loose me at work and started crying, that was how bad it was.

My doc had no good explanation and said that she couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. The incident took place on 1/31/2011 which was 2 months after loosing my baby and I was put back on oral birth control on 2/5/11 and have not had an episode.

Take it easy Kayjay.

I was so glad to see this post on here, I also suffered a blighted ovum which was treated with medication to induce the miscarriage. I had a similar experience at work, it was terrifying & upsetting as well as highly embarrassing! I have not been given any conclusion, I was told this could be because of an incomplete miscarriage - even though all the tests confirmed this was not the case or infection which I have had no symptoms of. Have you had any further problems or have your periods returned to normal?

I had the operation when I was 11 weeks pregnant because the Ultro Sound showed the fetus had no heartbeat on March 30th, 2012. Since then, I have never stop bleeding till now, and it's been two months and a week more. during the two months, I went to my obstetrician few times and didn't get any result. Then I switch to my family doctor, and she suggest me to do a lot of blood test and Ultro Sound again, the report showes that, it's imcomplete miscarriage, and I still have something left in my uterus. I have been sufferring for more than two monthes, do you have any suggestion?

It turned out mine was also an incomplete miscarriage even though the initial scan came back clear. I passed this naturally as I did not know but if you have been told it is incomplete your doctor should recommend treatment for you. The bleeding will not stop properly & your normal cycle will not resume until it is complete whether you wait to pass it naturally or use medical intervention. I suffered quite a lot of pain & bleeding when mine completed but as soon as it was done everything returned to normal very quickly.

Thank you very much for the information. Since I just did the Ultro Sound and got the report this morning, I will go to my family doctor( who suggestion the US and Blood test) on Monday as soon as possible. I don't know I can still trust my OB (the one who gave me the Operation two months ago) or not?

The excact same thing happend to me. I had a miscarriage, then a few months later I had a huge gush of blood and clots that wouldn't stop. It was like I was peeing blood, and huge clots that wouldn't stop, I thought I was going to die. I called the ambulance and they told me I was just having a miscarriage, but I told them i had a miscarrage months ago and something was wrong with me and I felt my stomach emptying blood. I  was alone when I called the ambulance, and the paramedics could not get into my building so I had to crawl out of my condo to the front door of the building, crying, and thats when I blacked out. They were horrible paramedics. Once they loaded me into the ambulance (they tried to make me walk when I woke up from being blacked out on the floor), they went to my condo to get my wallet and saw how much blood I lost and became more concerned. The gynecologist also tried to tell me I was pregnant and had a miscarriage but I know I wasn't becuase I had just finished my first period. I never did find out why that happened to me. I did not go on birth control afterwards like many people in this chat mention. I became pregnant again about a year later and had a healthy pregnancy and baby. So you are not alone, and it may not repeat itself. Yes it was very scary.

I have been to the ER twice in last last 6 months because when I'm on my cycle it's like I'm peeing my pants...except it's blood from my uterus. They keep telling me nothing is wrong. But I just finished my 4th month of fertility treatments & started my cycle again last night. Something is definitely off & I need help!

I was told it could be fibriod uterus cancer where the lining of my uterus collects blood and then I bleed from the lining so it is more like faucet. She says if I had it, being on birth control pill can help my body hormone balance and then my body can cure itself and that sometimes surgery is required to remove the tumor. I have been back on birth control pill and never had this incident again.