Hi everyone. My dog is having some problems with his health. My vet suggested I should enhance his immune system by taking good care of what he eats. I’ve always done that, so there isn’t much to change. Perhaps I’ll add some supplements such as vitamins and stuff like that. I heard I can find those in the local pet shop. But as for the food, I don’t think that I should change anything. I’ve been feeding him wit high protein foods. I choose only high quality brands. Just to make sure, are there any dangers of high protein dog foods?

Hm, from my experience, high-protein diet is unnecessary for dogs and it can be contra productive if your dog has serious health problems (with his internal organs).

I said unnecessary because dog’s body cannot utilize extra protein he gets by food, but excrete these proteins through kidneys and out of the body via urine. Also, dog’s body doesn’t have an option to store this extra protein.

You said that you feed him with high-quality proteins. That should be enough for strengthening his immune system. The quality of proteins is more important than quantity. Just give him enough nutrients for his daily needs and he will be ok.

Good luck!

You shouldn’t force high protein dog foods at all. A lot of proteins can be really dangerous for the dog. It is true that proteins are building blocks of your dog’s body, but a lot of proteins are not so good for your dog, and you don’t need a high protein food for daily function. When a dog consumes too much protein in one meal, it cannot all be utilized at one time. Those proteins cannot be stored for later as well. This can cause a lot of healthy problems for your dog. Always consult your vet about this issue.

Hi there

You didn’t mention how old is your dog. That is very important when it comes to the protein intake. As you may know, protein is not just a nutrient, it is much more than this. Proteins are the building blocks of our organs, muscles and tissues. Because of that puppies need more proteins than middle aged and older dogs (their organs aren’t totally formed). This is the reason I asked you about your dog’s age.

Unfortunately, older dogs can be sensitive to the higher protein intakes and that could be the case with your dog. Namely, proteins are processed in the liver and any waste from processing them is going to be filtered in dog’s kidneys. Older dogs could experience some problems because their liver and kidneys are not as strong as they were. 

I don’t agree with you guys. I think you are focusing on the wrong thing Mia. The main thing about protein intake is their quality, not quantity. Now I see that old_dog_new_tricks mentioned something about this. He is right.

I will try to simply explain what I said about the quality of proteins. You see, when the protein you give to your dog is high quality his liver and kidneys won’t be under pressure at all. You know why, because that high quality protein is totally free of waste or contains just a small percentage of it.

So my advice is to pay attention which sources of protein you give to your dog, not how much. 

Hello everyone.

Rubylock is right and I totally agree with her. The only thing you should pay attention to is the quality of protein you give to your dog. As you may know, “high quality” label stands for low amounts of waste from digesting and processing that protein. To be more precise, low quality protein doesn’t mean that protein is bad and unhealthy- it just has more waste and it is tougher to process. I suppose your dog has sensitive kidneys so I suggest you to buy just the brands with “high quality” labels.

Also, you should consult your vet. He will explain you everything (much better than I did :) ).

Well, it depends. I can’t say that I do agree with someone, and that I don’t agree with someone because I think that you all are right. I agree that high protein food can leave some effects on your dog’s health, but only in case if your dog has some health issue. Anyway, consulting your vet is something that you need to do, I am always saying this to everyone – to you, to my friends, because I know that the vet is the only one who can tell you what is the best for your dog. When you want to give your dog proteins, you need to see what is the quality of those proteins.

Well, let me join this discussion. High protein dog food can cause some issues in your dog’s health. Too much protein can be harmful, and yes, I do agree that you need to be careful when it comes about the quality of the proteins. But, you need to understand that protein is not the only nutrient – amino acids also serve as building rock of your dog’s body. Well, some research claims that high protein percentages in foods are really harmful because it can cause kidney problems, but that is not so true, of course, if you are using healthy proteins. Quality of proteins can cause damage of your dog’s kidney, not GOOD high protein dog food.