Hi everyone. :) I am posting here because I have a question for you. This time, it’s my dog. They’ve told me that I am not feeding him right. Usually I would get mad and start offending the person who said that since I am very impulsive, but this came from a very appreciated vet and I believe in his judgments. I will now try to provide him a healthy, balanced diet. I am thinking maybe raw food. Since all of you here know a lot about dog nutrition, can you tell me what are the best protein sources for dogs?

Yes, you definitely should listen to your vet :) And, don’t worry. I am really sure that he will help you a lot in this process. I remember when my uncle needed to put his Chester on some balanced diet program – that was not good for him! He knows the best :) There are some very superior protein sources for dogs. You can find those proteins in eggs.  Yes, eggs – you can be really surprised when you learn that eggs are a better source of protein then meat! Also, meat such as chicken, turkey, beef, duck, and liver…Fish is also great choice. You can give your dog cheese as well. 

Hello. My friend is a vet so I know a lot about these things. He always gives me advice when it comes to dog nutrition. 

As for the proteins, he told me that I need to choose food that is both rich in protein and easily digestible. 

So the best protein sources for dogs according to him would definitely be eggs, fish (yeah, that’s right, it’s not only good for cats) and different kinds of meat. 

I prefer chicken and turkey (but not chicken bones unless they’re cut into small pieces), but you can also use beef, duck, venison, liver etc. 

Hello.

By switching to raw food and if you buy fresh food only, your dog will get enough proteins for his daily nutrition needs.

Millie and Mima already told you that eggs, fish and real meat are the best protein sources. I can only add that you need to avoid meat-by products. They are hard to digest for your dog and, as leftovers, have too little proteins in themselves. Not to mention they cause larger volume of stool.

Also, you need to avoid corn and wheat, so don’t buy foods which have too many these ingredients in their packages. Just like meat-by products, proteins from corn and wheat are much less digestible than ones from eggs, fish and real meat. 

I see that everything has already been said, I will just add some tips on how to use these protein sources.

You need to be careful, especially if you’re just starting with this and you still don’t know all the rules. And if your plan is to use raw food then you need to be extra careful.

For example when you start with it, you may want to use only one protein source in the first week.

Then after a week has passed you can include another protein source. Take it slowly. You need to see how will your dog react before you overdose him with different protein sources.

Hello. Eggs are definitely so powerful, and they should find a place on your dog’s menu very often :) Proteins do have really big role in good nutrition. A lot of my friends always ask me what meat is the best protein source for their dogs. But, I have to say that this depends. You can give your dog to eat lamb, fish, poultry, but some nutritionists will tell you that your dog can ear rabbit, pork, goat. I know that, for German Shepherds a lot of them will recommend you to give them beef. So, every choice is totally good, you won’t make a mistake. 

Hey there. Wow, such amazing answers. Yes, there are so many proteins that can be really good and really helpful for your dog. I have to say that I really do prefer fish and eggs. It is funny because I never could believe that eggs have so many proteins that my dog actually needs. It was really good when I found out, especially when my vet told me. I have to say that I was really skeptical at the beginning, and I caught my Dona one day eating eggs – I was so furious, because I was thinking that this is not good.

But it is, it is excellent protein source :)

No, eggs are great. I think that you can add some egg shells in a blender when you’re mixing stuff for your dog. They’re also healthy and full of protein and calcium. And eggs are not only great protein sources, they’re great for your dog’s hair too- they make it shine.I don’t know a lot about dog nutrition but I know a lot about nutrition for humans. I suppose there is no great difference between protein sources from our diet and theirs, am I right?I see people giving their dogs chicken meat. That’s one of the main protein sources in our diet so I guess it’s the same for the dogs.