Hi everyone. I recently got a cat! This is very important for me since I never really liked cats. No, actually I loved them, but they never liked me. So I was always more of a dog person. Cats were my second choice. Now I have a cat on my own and she is everything I ever wanted. I love her. And she is not at all like the other cats. She is way more attached to me that other cats are to their owners. Anyway, I came here to ask you, how much protein will she need for a good nutrition?

The protein intake varies from species to species and health condition of cat. Some general rule is that your cat needs 25-30% proteins of her total daily caloric intake. The most important is to secure your cat enough taurine (amino acid which can be found in meat and eggs). You can supplement it, but it is better for your cat to take it directly from food. If you are not sure about her daily needs, you can check it with your vet.

From my experience (and from friends’ advice), the best sources of quality proteins include: chicken, beef, fish, lamb and eggs. 

Hey there.  Proteins are the building blocks in your cat nutrition, and you should know this. Proteins are one of the very important nutrients in the diet program. The protein intake depends from cat to a cat. If you have a kitten, than protein intake should be around 30%, and if you have adult cat, protein intake should be around 25 – 30 %. Of course, you should consult with the vet about this, but I am really happy because you know that your cat need proteins for good nutrition :) I have a cat and the best source of nutrients are meat, such as chicken, beef, etc. 

Hello everyone. Your cat needs proteins that is a fact. You have to be careful because your cat doesn’t need too many proteins, because that is not good. In every theory, if a healthy animal eats too much protein some gets extracted in the urine. You should also know that proteins are the most expensive ingredients in the food, and you should pay for them, I pay for them more than I need :) If you ask me, medium protein intake is totally ok.

I have a cat and I respect those rules as well. It is not that hard, you will learn it. 

Yes, the general intake is from 25 to 30%, but this is issue that you need to discuss with your vet. The most important thing is to give your cat enough daily nutrition, and I am sure that she will be healthy. Like previous post says, it is not difficult to learn this. The base of proteins are meat, such as beef, fish, chicken, turkey. That means that you should give your cat this type of meet. Once again, visiting your vet is the best choice. Cat’s require meat and higher protein than dogs do, and cats need the amino acid taurine for good health as well.

You should be careful, because some vets doesn’t have so many experience and they will tell you (because they believe) that more protein is better for cats. Well, most cats will need up to 45 percent of protein, according to them, but don’t let them trick you. That is a little bit too much for them. Kittens require up to 35 percent protein in their food, and senior cats needs up to 30 percent. That is because older cats are at risk of a condition that cause them to lose muscle mass.

You will learn this very soon, don’t worry. 

I think that this is a very individual thing. I mean, can we talk about the same nutrition rules for someone else’s cat who has 8-9 pounds and my cat who has 18 pounds?

No we can’t.

That is why people here need to learn to describe the situation with their pet so the rest of us can try to help or at least share some experiences. So tell us more about your cat’s specie, her health condition and stuff like that.Is she an active cat, do you take her out often? Or she is more of an indoor cat who spends much time lying around.

Kittens require 30% of protein. I know that as a fact because recently this girl in my building got a kitten. It was a birthday present from her boyfriend. She came to me a month ago to ask me about protein requirements for my senior cat. I told her around 20 or 25 % and maybe 15 % of fat.

Few days later I ran into her and she told me that she went to the vet to have her kitten vaccinated. She asked him about the protein requirements and he told her that kittens require 30 % of protein and about 20 % of fat. 

Thank you so much. I didn’t expect the answers to come so fast. I am sorry I didn’t give you enough information about my cat before asking this question, it was so stupid of me. She is only a kitten, not sure exactly how old because she was found on the street and I decided to adopt her. Actually my sister decided that for me and she brought her to my apartment. She knew I won’t be able to say no to that.

So I guess 30 % of protein. Ok. And what would that look like? Can you give me an example of one meal that consists 30% of proteins? 

I think that we all can agree in one thing – cats need animal-based proteins. That’s because taurine is missing from plants and you can find it in meat. Taurine is one of the most important nutrients for our kitties. The other reason (as important as taurine) is that cats’ metabolic pathways utilize animal proteins more efficiently than plants’. And, as you already know, cats cannot be vegetarians as they are carnivores.
I won’t recommend you any recipes as you can find a bunch of them all over web but to advise you to buy more raw than dry food.
Look up for some recipes, you can find them on this site as well.